What are some tips for becoming a level designer?

Started by
4 comments, last by c_williams 2 years, 9 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am a student nearing graduation for a degree in game programming and development. After all my courses, I have decided that the aspect of game development I enjoy the most is level design. However, I feel that I still have a lot to learn. I have only used the Unreal Engine so far, both for Blueprint and C++ projects, though I know that experience with other engines is preferable. I'm currently working on building my portfolio when I have time away from schoolwork and working full-time. Does anyone have any advice or tips for becoming a level designer or getting into the game industry in this role? What are some important skills to work on? Any links that might be helpful would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance!

None

Advertisement

After graduation, build a portfolio showcasing your level design skills. A team project, at least one, should be part of it. Have you checked on what game studios are within daily commuting distance from where you will be living after graduation?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you for your reply, I will definitely make building my portfolio my main focus after graduation! I have worked on one team project in a course that I took a while back, but it was a relatively small project so I plan to work on another. I am in a rather rural area and I do not live near any game studios, so I am planning on relocating after graduation.

None

Good. Any ideas where you might relocate to? Do you know about gamedevmap.com?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper I have been thinking mostly about trying to relocate to Austin, TX. I'm really interested in either Bioware or Arkane Studios, but I know those would most likely be difficult to get into with no prior experience at other studios. I hadn't heard of gamedevmap.com until you mentioned it, but I pulled up the site and it shows that there are a lot of options I wasn't aware of in that region that may be good starting points. Thank you for sharing!

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement