Starting Out in the Field

Started by
0 comments, last by gs82139 2 years, 9 months ago

Hello all, I'm currently a student at Southern New Hampshire University in the USA.

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I decided to throw my hat out there and ask some questions about getting your first job as a Gameplay Programmer.

Once I graduate in December, I plan on applying to as many Gameplay Programming positions as I can that are within driving distance for me. I can move as well provided the job requires it.

So, getting to the point, I'm taking this example of a job listing as the standard listing available on sites like Indeed and GlassDoor. It states that the person applying must have a minimum of three years of experience in Gameplay Programming, and this seems to be pretty common across many listings I've seen online.

https://imgur.com/a/vxuj3nn

Because I have no prior experience in the field, what are your recommendations to apply for this position? Should I try to find an internship for the experience or should I try to apply anyway?

I have yet to make my own game, however, I have made simple game mechanics and prototypes using Unreal Engine 4 in my time at SNHU.

Other qualifications in the listing include…

“Strong modern C++ skills”

“Gameplay or AI programming experience”

“Good understanding of game design”.

Again, I have used Unreal Engine 4 with C++ to make gameplay mechanics and game prototypes before. I wouldn't say I'm amazing at the language, but I could probably use it if needed. What would you say “strong modern C++ skills” would imply?

Thank you all for your time and patience!

Glenn Savarese

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement