Questions about being a Gameplay Programmer

Started by
2 comments, last by NightCreature83 2 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

I am a student studying Gameplay Programming and Design, with a personal preference for gameplay programming, and I am nearing graduation, so I am looking to get some more information on what I should know. Specifically, I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what skills I can or should focus on improving? Additionally, I would be welcome to any recommendations anyone might have on ways to practice or improve my programming abilities. As for languages I know, I am the most familiar with C++, as my classes have mostly used Unreal, but I am familiar with C# and Python, so I would also like to know if I should try and focus on improving one language or try learning to work better in multiple languages?

None

Advertisement

Industry-standard is probably going to be C++. I don't foresee C# overtaking c++, although C# is evolving. Since you're familiar with the unreal, start designing pawns, actors, and player controllers. Python is normally used for scripting. Every bit helps.

piercingarrow said:

Industry-standard is probably going to be C++. I don't foresee C# overtaking c++, although C# is evolving. Since you're familiar with the unreal, start designing pawns, actors, and player controllers. Python is normally used for scripting. Every bit helps.

Most engines are still written in C++ and unless we get something that gives us similar performance guarantees its unlikely this will change, lots of people know this language in the industry. Its not the only langauge though that have had engines made on.

Python is not always used for scripting this is very engine specific, one uses LUA and other Python and a third something completely different like blueprints in Unreal for example. The point I am trying to make is that this is specific to the engine you are working with.

Unreal is popular to use as an engine but lots of triple A developers have their own internal engine, so just learning specifics of one is not helpful really. You are better off focussing on gameplay systems themselves.

Knowing how to program well in one langauge usually helps you to learn a new langauge faster, you no longer have to learn how to solve a problem just have to learn how to express the solution in that langauge, very different curve than learning to program and learning a langauge at the same time ?. So having to use a langauge you don't know yet in a job is not as huge an obstical.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement