🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Securing Funding

Started by
12 comments, last by PopetheRevXXVIII 2 years, 10 months ago

My project is getting a bit too ambitious. I'm going to need artists, programers, somebody to license the soundtrack and lord knows what else probably QA testers and I've already hit a dead end with my #1 choice who dead ass said “Don't pitch us anything.” on their Japanese cooperate site.

So if I can't get a big publisher I'll have to do it myself and well I don't have the money to pay people and I don't want anyone to work for free especially on my passion project.

So I need a grant, unfortunately since I live in Rhode Island where the 38 studios stench is still strong in the air I don't thing anybody will touch an upstate game studio with a 50 foot pole.

So what are my options? Or should I just give up and find another career path?

Advertisement

PopetheRevXXVIII said:
I'm going to need artists, programers, somebody to license the soundtrack and lord knows what else probably QA testers … So I need a grand

I don't think a thousand dollars is going to suffice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined

That was a typo. It's supposed to be Grant.

I see. Any thoughts as to what government agencies or non-government institutions you might try? Have you looked into what's involved in writing a grant application?

@Tom Sloper

Here's how it's gone so far.

Plan A was to pitch the game to Sega as a replacement for Judgement. But when I tried finding somebody to contact I saw on their corporate page “Don't pitch us anything”. I blame a certain kind of Sonic fan for that.

Plan B is Maybe another Japanese Publisher. But I don't think I'll have any luck on that front either. Western Publishers are out of the question I feel like they'll probably meddle too much and force me to exclude some of the subject matter I'm tackling. I'm not compromising anything.

So Plan C is figuring out how to get external funding There are grants for just about everything. But beyond google searches I haven't found much. I could go the crowd funding route but I don't think I qualify for Kickstarter and after mighty no 9 I'm reluctant to give to any crowdfunded project and Imagine others feel the same.

PopetheRevXXVIII said:
There are grants for just about everything.

Tom Sloper said:
Any thoughts as to what government agencies or non-government institutions you might try?

Yeah I haven't found anything looking around. A friend looked into Steam greenlight and if that was still a thing.

Epic seems to have a fund for unreal developers but I'm not going that route. Don't want my game on the Epic store, I want people to actually buy it and play it.

I could look into Id@XBOX, I could probably do what I want with Microsoft money….

But as far as government grants nothing.

If your game has a social theme or a health benefit, you could get a grant. Otherwise, I don't think grants are going to work.

It kind of has a social/mental health theme.

Still hitting a dead end here.

PopetheRevXXVIII said:
It kind of has a social/mental health theme.

“Kind of” won't get you a grant. If you can re-theme your game, a grant might be feasible. But not if it's just a one-man show.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement