GameDev.net

Started by
18 comments, last by khawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I am really enjoying gamedev.net lately. I like what they have done with it. The interface is just fun to use.

I feel a dedicated screemshots gallery would be nice. In general, I would try to make images more prominent somewhere in the interface.

10x Faster Performance for VR: www.ultraengine.com

Advertisement

Wouldn't you end up with a giant random collection of screenshots without much meaning?

Alberth said:
Wouldn't you end up with a giant random collection of screenshots without much meaning?

That's good. I would like images of debug renders, cool looking bugs, etc.
Still missing the screenshot gallery from the old days.

Edit: One nice bug i got. It started as a box of particles, and then all particles tried to get to the surface by accident. The sculpture kept moving and changing all the time.

I know gamedev since 1998 , its first year, at that time this website was the focal point of game development, now its barealy the shadow of itself.

On my own website, I have found that having a high density of good content is key to making it browsable and fun.

When you have content separated out into different “projects” or forum threads, there is a lot of clicking to do, relative to the content you are seeing (which equals dopamine). When you merge a stream of good content all together, you end up with something that is very fun and rewarding to browse through. We got rid of our “projects” section, which had become a database of unfinished ideas, and instead focused on screenshots and videos, which may contain links back the whatever the author is trying to promote. This worked a lot better because we are serving up a lot of good content per page and the user does not have to hunt and click to find something cool to see:

Example:
https://www.ultraengine.com/community/gallery/category/1-screenshots/

Josh Klint, I'd like to know your point of view about the nanite tech of unreal engine 5, is it still worth to work on an engine ? in my opinion it is not.

Programmer71 said:

Josh Klint, I'd like to know your point of view about the nanite tech of unreal engine 5, is it still worth to work on an engine ? in my opinion it is not.

I think it just depends on whether the user has the ability to produce / capture that kind of content. Displaying it is not that hard.

I have read the presentation about nanite and it is alone a whole team effort, barely affordable for a single user

At NASA we do have some Lidar data from Martian surfaces and lunar caves and such. For that sort of thing, I think it could be very useful and I have considered implementing something like this in the past.

For indie game development, it is probably not very practical.

Well, do you mind discussing ?, I have some ideas as well

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement