Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Trying To Minimize File Sizes

Started by Nicholas Broggi Nov 15, 2021 at 1:43 AM 3 replies 5.5k views
Original Post
Nicholas Broggi
Nicholas Broggi

I'm a college student who is learning how to make video games and love trying to minimize the file sizes of computer programs I make. Do you guys have any tips I can use?

Shaarigan
Shaarigan

There exists a community which made challanges of small programs, for example this one https://hackaday.io/contest/18215-the-1kb-challenge​ I found by googling. The challange often is to get your game fill a limited amount of space, 1KB for example, but be still fully playable. They exist since the 90s and are the reason I got into digital gamedev as I thought this was very interesting when I was young

a light breeze
a light breeze

For all but the smallest of games, most of the download size is going to be taken up by assets, not code. So unless you're just doing this for your own amusement, focus on keeping the size of your assets down.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.