Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Flickering when moving the camera.

Started by DaTueOwner Mar 18, 2022 at 5:59 PM 6 replies 6.3k views
Original Post
DaTueOwner
DaTueOwner

Im trying out Diligent Engine and I can render the sponza scene. However there is some weird flickering when moving the camera. When I zoom out it looks like this:

Geometry Error

It's the output of the normals from a GBuffer. You can see the errors which have circles around. The geometry seems to “flicker”, but only when I move the camera. When I zoom on into the problematic places, the error disappears:

No Error

The same happens when I do simple forward rendering. Also tested with other values, like world position and UV coordinates. The flickering still occurs. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I know it is hard without code as I don't know where the place of error is, but does anyone of you know what the problem could be? Just an educated guess might suffice. The code is here: https://github.com/DaOnlyOwner/hym​

Thanks

Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge

Given the look of the thing, and especially that it's only apparent when far from the site at which it occurs, I'm inclined to guess that it's some form of z/depth-fighting.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! My Twitter Account: @EbornIan
DaTueOwner
DaTueOwner

That's really weird I have a 32bit precision depth buffer. There shouldn't be any z fighting here… When I increase to 64bit the problem stays the same. Really weird. Guess I have to investigate.

DaTueOwner
DaTueOwner

Okay you were right, my near plane was nearly 0

Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge

Well, one possibility is that it has to do with your near- and far- planes: if you have one or both of a very small near-plane value or a very large far-plane value, then you may end up with depth-values clustering in a small part of the depth-spectrum. This may then result in artefacts, as there's little “space” within the cluster in which to differentiate fragments.

[edit] Ah, it seems that you responded while I was preparing my own response--and indeed, it seems that we came to much the same conclusion!

Well, I'm glad that you seem to have found the problem! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! My Twitter Account: @EbornIan
DaTueOwner
DaTueOwner

Yeah, so thank you for the educated guess. It helped a lot :D

Thaumaturge
Thaumaturge

I'm glad that it did so help! ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.