Recognize this Unreal Engine content?

Started by
7 comments, last by Nagle 2 years ago

This is a promo video for a crypto metaverse:

How much of this is stock UE4/5 content? I want to know if they did any real work, or just slapped together some stock assets.

Advertisement

Even if all of this would come from asset store and quixel library, then compositing from multiple sources but still nailing vision and artstyle so well is real work and skill regardless.
On the other hand it feels all like a mock up. Knowing nothing about the project, i would assume it's putting the scam on Kickstarter to the next level. It's suspicious they put so much effort on a presentation, but shown content isn't well suited to make a rich and large world like practical open world games would do.

However, after i saw the UE5 city demo running (crawling) on my machine, and seeing not even current high end GPUs can run this at fluid rates, plus noticing disabling all traffic and characters does not help it… i'm pretty skeptical about UE5 in general. Feels like one step forth, two steps back. Cyberpunk was actually much more impressive and performance was pretty fine. I wonder why so many AAA devs switch over to UE5. But maybe i can change my mind after some first games come out…

Despite my doubts, above video is impressive work no matter what.

Nagle said:
How much of this is stock UE4/5 content?

Not much. The flying cars are not in the marketplace, the race track pavement doesn't match the racing assets I've seen, and the sci-fi city models that exist aren't a good match for that skyline (especially that bit swirly round tower would be quite distinctive):

Clip from promo trailer

The terrain looks very Unreal/Megascans-esque, though, so maybe they took those bits from there?

That being said – everything in there looks like what an artist would make for a bespoke advertising trailer. Almost all the shots are either atmosphereric foggy skylines, or extreme close-ups, and there's exactly zero gameplay. Look at how those cars move in the racing – not physically simulated. My money is on “advertising trailer rendered out of DCC tool.” It's much cheaper to make content that just stands up to a 2-second cut in an ad, than it is to make working in-game content. Like, very much cheaper.

I especially “like” how they put a big pink sneaker ad in the middle of the air, as if that would be at all scalable, or even desirable :-)

Let me be clear: It's totally possible that they have game ready assets, and show those assets in this trailer. I'm just saying that it would be cheaper to show what they've shown so far, using advertising quality assets. And all their public statements have been about how they procedurally generate assets, how they use unreal engine, and how it's all NFT based. Very much detail on how wait lists for buying their NFTs will work, and very little about, like, “what do we do if 200 people all try to stand on the same street corner?” My guess is, because they don't really foresee actually having to solve that second problem.

@JoeJ The Unreal 5 Matrix City demo runs fine on my computer in 1440p resolution, with a 1.5 year old GPU and 4.5 year old CPU. (RTX 3090 and ThreadRipper 1950X) Different resolutions and hardware will of course have different results.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

hplus0603 said:
Look at how those cars move in the racing – not physically simulated.

Who cares about vehicle simulation - they have cloth simulation, so the new pair of shiny golden NFT Jogging Highs will appear properly framed by dress code. : )

Some issues i saw with modeling the buildings. Like using the faces of some parametric surface to make unique windows. But there are sections where those windows become very narrow and stretched, which would look bad close up.

hplus0603 said:
RTX 3090

You're well prepared for pretty much anything then. But that's enthusiast niche.

Here some benches using what i classify as high end GPUs. In 1440p even a 2070 fails to hit 30fps:

This dos not look good i think, but we'll see.

hplus0603 said:
That being said – everything in there looks like what an artist would make for a bespoke advertising trailer.

Agreed. That place looks useless as a place to visit at ground level, too. Classic problem with art of future cities.

hplus0603 said:
Let me be clear: It's totally possible that they have game ready assets, and show those assets in this trailer. I'm just saying that it would be cheaper to show what they've shown so far, using advertising quality assets. And all their public statements have been about how they procedurally generate assets, how they use unreal engine, and how it's all NFT based. Very much detail on how wait lists for buying their NFTs will work, and very little about, like, “what do we do if 200 people all try to stand on the same street corner?” My guess is, because they don't really foresee actually having to solve that second problem

Yes, that's the usual case with the NFT metaverse crowd. All the emphasis is on the payment system. They gloss over how they plan to do the real job. This one at least has a game trailer. Most of the others are not even far enough along to have a good video.

Nagle said:
This one at least has a game trailer.

I guess if you think the racing part is intended to show “gameplay” then that would qualify? Although the camera work there has nothing to do with what people would actually see when playing a racing game (except for the two seconds of in-cabin character straightening the steering wheel.)

Other than that, there's zero gameplay, and in general, zero interactivity. More like a mood setting exercise, really.

I do think they're making many of these assets themselves, though. It's probably actual 3D artists involved. Clearly also 2D artists, given the production values of their site.

Returning to this thread: I saw this job posting:

https://www.creativeheads.net/job/22080/lead-environment-artist-in-carmel-valley

Which sounds an awful lot like “we need someone to figure out how to hire the art team that will figure out how to build our first level.”

Which doesn't quite match the level of progress that the demo video is supposed to indicate…

@hplus0603

Which doesn't quite match the level of progress that the demo video is supposed to indicate…

Why am I not surprised?

I'd thought that by now at least some of the NFT promoters would do the work to make it real. But, so far, no. The very low end systems that are actually working are losing users. Decentraland concurrent user counts have dropped from a peak of around 2600 to around 1300. 822 right now. Sominum Space is down to 3-6 users, according to Steamcharts.

The entire NFT sector is collapsing, according to Seeking Alpha.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement