More evidence coming in, exposing greed and corruption of Epic Games

Started by
10 comments, last by Kylotan 1 year, 2 months ago

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2022/12/fortnite-video-game-maker-epic-games-pay-more-half-billion-dollars-over-ftc-allegations

The most interesting parts are:

Illegal Dark Patterns

In a separate administrative complaint, the FTC alleged that Epic used dark patterns to trick players into making unwanted purchases and let children rack up unauthorized charges without any parental involvement. The complaint alleged that Epic:

• Used dark patterns to trick users into making purchases: The company has deployed a variety of dark patterns aimed at getting consumers of all ages to make unintended in-game purchases. Fortnite’s counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration led players to incur unwanted charges based on the press of a single button. For example, players could be charged while attempting to wake the game from sleep mode, while the game was in a loading screen, or by pressing an adjacent button while attempting simply to preview an item. These tactics led to hundreds of millions of dollars in unauthorized charges for consumers.
  • Blocked access to purchased content: The FTC alleged that Epic locked the accounts of customers who disputed unauthorized charges with their credit card companies. Consumers whose accounts have been locked lose access to all the content they have purchased, which can total thousands of dollars. Even when Epic agreed to unlock an account, consumers were warned that they could be banned for life if they disputed any future charges.

Epic ignored more than one million user complaints and repeated employee concerns that “huge” numbers of users were being wrongfully charged. In fact, Epic’s changes only made the problem worse, the FTC alleged. Using internal testing, Epic purposefully obscured cancel and refund features to make them more difficult to find.

Who on earth would ever want to use their Unreal Engine?

That company is basically one scam after another, that's built on stolen money.

Here's an interesting page, that exposes exactly who they are

[Facebook link deleted by mod]

Advertisement

Yes, obviously this post was made to promote the Facebook page.

I'm leaving it up for now because what's been posted is technically true and it's technically relevant to game developers, though I'm curious as to why there's such an axe to grind here.

I'm always in when it comes to rant against mega corps, but making cancel buttons smaller isn't scam, just usual practice.
We can detect patterns everywhere if we want, and their perceived color is on us.

Jimmy123 said:
Who on earth would ever want to use their Unreal Engine?

Chinese jet fighter pilots using photorealisitc UE6 simulators to train bombing Taiwan.

Now you know the real issue. Add it to your facebook page. \:D/

Kylotan said:
I'm leaving it up for now because what's been posted is technically true and it's technically relevant to game developers, though I'm curious as to why there's such an axe to grind here.

Agreed. The FB link didn't need to remain, so that's gone now.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Chinese jet fighter pilots using photorealisitc UE6 simulators to train bombing Taiwan.

Now you know the real issue. Add it to your facebook page. \:D/

I would think they would use Unigine for that. (A) It's made for that kind of stuff and (B) It's Russian so there is no chance of sanction problems.

As in a person, just because they do unethical things doesn't mean the product they made is bad.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

JoeJ said:

I can legitimately imagine them failing to render a heightmap from a 2d array, so they decide to pirate some american wasd joke video game engine running on windows, which will magically turn off forever and send the contents of the hard drive to an american server 5 minutes after they start the invasion of taiwan.

Geri said:
I can legitimately imagine them failing to render a heightmap from a 2d array, so they decide to pirate some american wasd joke video game engine running on windows, which will magically turn off forever and send the contents of the hard drive to an american server 5 minutes after they start the invasion of taiwan.

Come on, what a tinfoil nonsense! And so disrespectful!

This is the real plan: Make the youth of China addicted to low brow plagiarism of western RPG MMOs, so when Xi starts the invasion, they can only fight with swords and casting spells.
It will work, but takes some time. So the next few years remain critical…

As a bonus, there is some hope that if people of China realize they can rule freely in a virtual world, they may finally grow some balls and put their misery of a dictatorship to an end in the real world.

It's a balancing act. We need to give them still enough precious chips to lure them into the western Sodom and Gomorrah, but they shall not think they could get there without our tech expertise and democracy.

JoeJ said:
Make the youth of China addicted to low brow plagiarism of western RPG MMOs

They have far better MMORPG-s: Genshin Impact, Perfect World, Honkai Impact…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement