Need advice on hiring app developers

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year ago

I know there are a few techy people on here so here's a question for app developers. I want to create my first mobile game that includes intense graphics and a good storyline. Just for reference I am not a app developer. I have researched a range of agencies and I have narrowed it down to 3 agencies. I'll talk about the one that pulls me in the most since I dont want to give out free promotions. The question I want answered is should I hire an app developer or use an agency. The company below says there great and well known mobile app development agency, so I was wondering if anyone had any inside information about if there a good and trustworthy agency (since there well know). I am not really a techy person so I rely on forums and other peoples opinion to tell me if there well recommended or not. On the other hand, if I should hire app developers, should I use a platform like indeed to hire? Any help would be fantastic! https://www.red-c.co.uk/

Advertisement

I never heard of using an agency this way, and my career for decades involved contracting developers to make games for my employer. Since I never heard of this before, can you explain how that works? You contact an agency and they find people for your project? They find programmers/engineers and artists and designers and …? Then do they take a project management role for you, or is that part up to you? What I've always done is find development teams, not individuals. That way I only have to manage the manager, who manages the individuals.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper

Hi Tom,

So the companies I have researched develop mobile apps. I can hire an agency to create the app for me.

Or I can hire app developers on indeed.

So I am asking, should I use an app development agency or should I create listings on indeed to hire app developers individually.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this sector, I am new to it. I just have ideas to create a storyline. Let me know if this makes sense.

My question is, What is this type of “agency” called? Recruitment agency? And when you say “app developers on indeed” do you mean individual people? Or development companies?

The agency is called red c, I'll leave the link here if you want to look at them. https://www.red-c.co.uk/mobile-app-development

Its is not a recruitment agency, its a mobile development agency - so they are a team of mobile app developers that take briefs off clients.

When I say app developers on indeed. I mean hiring people on the platform. So I can create a job listing and people can apply for that job.

As your probably an experienced app developer, I was wondering if I should use an agency or hire multiple people on indeed to create my mobile app?

That company makes apps and does not highlight their games, so that's the wrong kind of company for your needs. You need a game development company (the term “agency” is what confused me). Don't hire a bunch of individuals - that's going to be a communication/management nightmare. Hire a company that's experienced in making GAMES. The dev company you hire needs to be experienced with your game genre and platform.

Also, since you're spending money to get your game created, do you have a plan for how the game will earn money? Are you sure it'll pay for the development and then some?

@Tom Sloper

My project and ideas are still in the beginning stage, but I believe the app will earn enough and then some more. Thank you for your advice, I will take it into consideration when going forward. Atleast you've put me in the right direction.

I will start researching some games development companies.

Wikipedia has a list of video game developers. You can also use gamedevmap.com as a resource.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement