First time publishing a game to PSN. How do you go about it?

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Hi all,

First time poster. I am looking at potentially putting out my first game and I am wondering about the process of releasing to storefronts, specifically PlayStation Network.

Is the process still to join the partner program? And if so, do I need to have a company registered? Does anyone have any concrete information on the exact process for releasing to PSN?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

It's been years since I worked with Sony, but I doubt the publishing process has changed to make it easier to publish on PSN.

You should assume you do have to register with them as a developer and publisher. If it's just you, you don't have an established company or prior PlayStation credits, you may find the requirements a barrier. Just try. No harm in trying.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yes, registering through that program is probably the most direct. The website is straightforward, and the company will assign someone to work with you if your project gets accepted.

Ultimately you'll need a proper company as an entity for taxes and other legal purposes. You don't necessarily need it at the beginning, but the more you bring to the discussions the easier it will be for them to work with you. Their goal is to help bring great games to their platform, not really to train up-and-coming studios. They'll do some guidance, but don't expect much hand-holding.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement