What are some tips and tricks for improving my gameplay development skills, resume, and portfolio

Started by
2 comments, last by Sanford299 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello,

First time poster here, so bare with me!

I'm working towards finishing out a degree focusing on game design and development, and I'll be finishing here soon. Since I'm going to be looking for some game development jobs here soon, likely focusing on gameplay programming, what are some tips for improving my skills as a gameplay dev? I've been focusing on learning UE, using both Blueprints and C++.

I'll need to get a portfolio put together here soon as well, what sort of content is important to show in a portfolio? For gameplay programming, does the art and level design of what is shown in the portfolio matter as much? Or is demonstrating clean code and a good understanding of the math behind it more important? Should I show a variety of games, or focus on one main genre?

I understand that there is no one right answer for most of my questions, but I'd love to hear what your personal experiences and recommendations are!

None

Advertisement

Make games. Make more than one. Make a solo game, and work with a team. It's very hard to get a job right out of college. It's going to take time. Do the job you want to get.

Also read other posts like yours. For instance: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/714599-a-gameplay-programmer-in-the-making

See frob's reply.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you for linking me to that!

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement