Forbidden from access to GameDev

Started by
6 comments, last by khawk 7 months, 1 week ago

I'm trying to understand why GameDev blocking access from my country Syria, I understand that some multinational company websites block access from certain countries due to legal reasons, but I don't see why a limited website like this would have a reason to do so.

Advertisement

Maybe Syria is blocking access? What's the wording of the error message you get?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
Maybe Syria is blocking access? What's the wording of the error message you get?

I don't think, it likes the connection is established with gamedev.net which doesn't happen with a blocked website by ISP.

Wefaq said:

I don't think, it likes the connection is established with gamedev.net which doesn't happen with a blocked website by ISP.

You know I sometimes (quite often) get some strange similar error. I don't think it's exactly yours, but that might be because the browser is different. I usually get it when using my phone, and it typically happens several times a day. If I try a few times, it generally goes away. Sometimes I have to come back later. I'm in Russia. Not sure of that makes a difference.

Edit: I should add, it only happens on this website. If I'm actually blocked either by Russia or by the host country, my VPN always gets past it.

Gnollrunner said:
might be because the browser is different. I usually get it when using my phone, and it typically happens several times a day. If I try a few times, it generally goes away. Sometimes I have to come back later. I'm in Russia. Not sure of that makes a difference. Edit: I should add, it only happens on this website. If I'm actually blocked either by Russia or by the host country, my VPN always gets past it.

Not a browser issue, I open this site from different browsers, platforms and times, and always get same forbidden page without VPN. It likes the hosting server company(which rarely happens) or the website blocks the access.

Here in the States, we often get 502 errors; maybe those get translated into 403 Forbidden errors somewhere along the way…?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Certain IP ranges are blocked. I haven't checked for a while which countries they might be from, but we only block IP ranges when they engage in malicious behavior with the site. It's possible your IP is caught in this.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement