How do I get my application and organization VERIFIED by Microsoft?

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 5 months, 2 weeks ago

(not sure if this is in the right section)

Hello,

so we are a new software DEVELOPER, and we are trying to get verification on the Microsoft platform.

You know how when you download a program, it shows you, the software publisher and or developer?

if you don't do this right, it will show an “unknown publisher” warning, the 1st time you launch the program. and say “windows protected your PC”

Legitimate and well known publishers of software will have a warning message when altering your computer. And it will show the name of the "publisher" and sometimes their logo. (solving this is what we want)

I've created a Microsoft partner account for my organization and I have the package ID and all that jazz. It shows my organization name and the package ID #. and i also have our seller id for the platform.

BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET IT INTO OUR UNITY GAME.

me and my dev lead have spent a few hours reading documentation and trying to figure this out.

There is documentation that shows the app verification process, and how Microsoft verifies the application package, and I even found documentation that claims verification is FREE, even though creating a company account on partner center is not.

So,

does anyone know how to get our name and maybe our logo into the game, so when it installs and runs it will show who we are?

As said, we are using unity.

It also says that to have a secondary admin, we need to use Asure ID, which we do not use…

What makes it worse is most of Microsoft developer documentation goes around in circles to try and get help, and it seems there is no phone number.

It also looks like most of the documentation is set up to have you get on the Microsoft store, which is not something we are currently considering.

If anyone knows how to figure this out, I'd be greatly appreciated.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement

GeneralJist said:
Legitimate and well known publishers of software will have a warning message when altering your computer. And it will show the name of the "publisher" and sometimes their logo. (solving this is what we want)

I think this is entirely about your software installer. If you're distributing through Steam, Epic, or similar, you won't need it. Their downloaders install it entirely for you.

If you're using an installer program it needs to be signed by a certificate with code signing credentials. All the ones Microsoft supports are paid services, like DigiCert or GlobalSign or any of the others with code signing support. As a part of the process they validate your signature files and get added to the CA chain, then when you sign your executable it shows as a trusted source.

If you're making your own, create it in Visual Studio as an installer project. The tool hasn't changed much over the past decade. The tool has configuration pages for selecting your digital certificate with code signing settings, strong names, delayed signing, and so on. There are also config values for the splash screen, company name, logos, and the other values for MSI, the Microsoft Software Installer. If you don't use that tool, there are plenty of other tools out there that can build MSI / EXE installers. If you're building and using the tools more directly, that's also pretty straightforward, basically just a bunch of simple configuration scripts for msiexec.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement