What do you need?

Started by
5 comments, last by Nocte 4 months, 1 week ago

Hello all!

I own a collection of sounds recorded by film post-production professionals. And I've been working in film sound for over fifteen years.

I'd like to be able to offer a low-cost "turnkey" formula for independent game developers.

So I ask you, dear creators:

- Would you be interested in pre-established quality soundscapes, with several layers of sounds already mixed?

- Would you be interested in "per location" bundles (e.g. everything audio could ask for from a school)?

- Would you be interested in a quick and interesting sound course / paid sound training?

Thank you all, and happy creating!

Advertisement

Nocte said:
- Would you be interested in pre-established quality soundscapes, with several layers of sounds already mixed? - Would you be interested in "per location" bundles…

@nocte Have you tried actually PLAYING games and imagining yourself designing the audio for them? I don't mean scrollers or puzzle games or point-and-click games, or Niantic AR games. Play something like Animal Crossing: New Horizons, or any Zelda game or Call of Duty game, where the player character moves around in an immersive game world. PLAYING games (and imagining yourself designing their audio environments) would be a MUCH more effective way of finding out what game creators need than posting a 3-question survey that will probably get precious few replies.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Nocte said:
(e.g. everything audio could ask for from a school)?

… What?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined I’ve been a huge gamer since childhood and work in sound post since 2006. 😉 (and sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language)

My goal is less pecuniary than sonic, but I think "Make sound good everywhere" is a bit utopian... 😅

In fact, the more I read about soundtrack development in indie games (1-5 people), the more I notice time and money wasted due to a lack of audio knowledge and inadequate tracks.

An example that has happened to me more than once, both while playing and reading on forums: games where the ambience track is a stereo wind plated directly from a sound bank, when the location could have used other layers.

I've also noticed that some people spend hours looking for assets without knowing what they're looking for, and end up being led by bundles that seem like a good deal, when half the content isn't useful to them.

So I try to understand the needs of independent creators, to see if I can provide low-cost solutions for maximum sonic pleasure.

What do you think?

I don't have any interest in pre-mixed soundscapes. Not only does this make it harder to create the specific ambiance I need (which will likely be completely different than what other game developers need), but background sounds tend to get buried under the background music anyway. The sound effects that I spend the most time looking for tend to be highly specific isolated foreground sounds, such as the song of a specific songbird with no background ambiance.

@undefined Thank you for your answer.

From your personal experience, was there a kind of well isolated sounds you had a hard time to find ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement