Calculating Normals of a Cube

Started by
2 comments, last by pjslime 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I am trying to properly generate normals for a cube that I originally specify with just 8 vertices, visualized like so:

I define the vertices in order and how they are indexed:

vec3 vertices[] = {
		/* 0, 1, 2, 3 */
		{ -0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f }, 
		{  0.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f },
		{ -0.5f,  0.5f, 0.5f },
		{  0.5f,  0.5f, 0.5f },

/* 4, 5, 6, 7 */
		{ -0.5f, -0.5f, -0.5f },
		{  0.5f, -0.5f, -0.5f },
		{ -0.5f,  0.5f, -0.5f },
		{  0.5f,  0.5f, -0.5f },
	};

GLubyte indices[] = {
		0, 1, 3, /* front */
		0, 3, 2,

1, 5, 7, /* right */
		1, 7, 3,

5, 4, 6, /* back */
		5, 6, 7,

4, 0, 2, /* left */
		4, 2, 6,

4, 5, 1, /* bottom */
		4, 1, 0,

2, 3, 7, /* top */
		2, 7, 6,
	};

/* array to hold all vertex positions and normals */
	vec3 vertAttribs[sizeof(indices)*2];

This loop is supposed to make 36 total vertices from the original 8 (+36 normal vectors) and calculate a normal for each triangle to make a cube that is flat shaded.

int i;
for (i = 0; i < sizeof(indices); i += 3) {
		GLubyte vertA = indices[i];
		GLubyte vertB = indices[i+1];
		GLubyte vertC = indices[i+2];

vec3 edgeAB;
		vec3 edgeAC;

/* AB = B - A
		 * AC = C - A */
		glm_vec3_sub(vertices[vertB], vertices[vertA], edgeAB);	
		glm_vec3_sub(vertices[vertC], vertices[vertA], edgeAC);	

/* normal = norm(cross(AB, AC)) */
		vec3 normal;
		glm_vec3_crossn(edgeAB, edgeAC, normal);

/* copy vertex postions into first half array */
		glm_vec3_copy(vertices[vertA], vertAttribs[i]);
		glm_vec3_copy(vertices[vertB], vertAttribs[i+1]);
		glm_vec3_copy(vertices[vertC], vertAttribs[i+2]);

/* vertex normals stored in second half of array */
		glm_vec3_copy(normal, vertAttribs[i+36]);
		glm_vec3_copy(normal, vertAttribs[i+1+36]);
		glm_vec3_copy(normal, vertAttribs[i+2+36]);
	}

Then I buffer the data:

glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(vertAttribs), vertAttribs, GL_STATIC_DRAW);

/* postions */
glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, 0);
glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);

/* normals */
glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, (void*)(36 * sizeof(float)));
glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);

Unfortunately, it does not seem to produce proper lighting:

camera inside of the cube

Also for reference, I am attempting to follow the tutorial on learnopengl.com for lighting (https://learnopengl.com/Lighting/Basic-Lighting), replicating only the diffuse section for now. My shaders are set up the same way as the site instructs, and the lighting does indeed work fine when manually providing the normals. I understand that my setup is not exactly as it is on the page, I am trying an alternative method for practice.

Because the lighting works as intended when the normals are specified manually, the mistake is probably somewhere within my loop, but I've looked it over up and down and can't seem to spot what's wrong. I'd appreciate a second set of eyes to help me see what I'm doing wrong, thank you.

Advertisement

pjslime said:
Because the lighting works as intended when the normals are specified manually, the mistake is probably

Visualize the manual normals beside the calculated normals. Ideally you'll see what's wrong.

Thank you for the hint. I visualized the normal vectors and saw that they all had seemingly random orientations:

I printed out the calculated normals and visualized them by hand, confirming that they are actually all correct. I then changed my focus to the matter of actually sending this data to the shader. When I copied the working manual array from Learn OpenGL, I had also copied over its VertexAttribPointer functions, which were of course setup correctly. My own, however, were not, and I only wrote separate functions as I ordered the data differently in the array (separate instead of interleaved). I also used an array of type vec3 instead of float, which is actually an array of 3 floats. So, my function became:

glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, (void*)(36 * sizeof(float)));

Which is almost right, except that since my array has type vec3, I should have instead been using sizeof(vec3):

glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, (void*)(36 * sizeof(vec3)));

Correcting this simple mistake properly adjusts the offset and produces expected results:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement