Need Help with Class Implementation in Java for Gameplay Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by Alberth 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi,

I'm currently working on a game development project in Java and could really use some assistance with implementing classes for gameplay programming. I've run into a few roadblocks and would appreciate any insights or guidance from the community to help me overcome them.

Here's the situation: I'm developing a 2D platformer game where players control a character navigating through various levels filled with obstacles and enemies. To achieve this, I've designed several classes to represent different game elements, including the player character, enemies, obstacles, and level layouts.

However, I'm encountering challenges with properly implementing these classes and ensuring they interact seamlessly within the game environment. Specifically, I'm struggling with defining the behavior and interactions between the player character and other game elements such as enemies and obstacles.

To provide some context, I've included a snippet of the Player class below. This class is responsible for managing the player character's attributes and behaviors, including movement, collision detection, and interaction with other game elements.

public class Player {
    private int x, y;
    private int width, height;
    private boolean isAlive;

public Player(int x, int y) {
        this.x = x;
        this.y = y;
        this.width = 50;
        this.height = 50;
        this.isAlive = true;
    }

// Methods for player movement, collision detection, etc.
}

Despite my best attempts, I am unable to link the Player class with other game aspects and assure seamless gaming mechanics. I've tried a variety of tactics, such as modifying collision detection algorithms, fine-tuning movement dynamics, and altering player-object interactions, in an attempt to obtain help, but I'm still not pleased with the results.

If someone has expertise with Java gaming development and can provide advise on optimizing class implementation for fluid gameplay mechanics, I would be grateful. Any recommendations for enhancing collision detection, optimizing player movement, or simplifying interactions between game elements would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading this and being prepared to provide a hand. Your knowledge and assistance mean a lot to me as I work to improve the gameplay experience for users.

Advertisement

However, I'm encountering challenges with properly implementing these classes and ensuring they interact seamlessly within the game environment. Specifically, I'm struggling with defining the behavior and interactions between the player character and other game elements such as enemies and obstacles.

Despite my best attempts, I am unable to link the Player class with other game aspects and assure seamless gaming mechanics. I've tried a variety of tactics, such as modifying collision detection algorithms, fine-tuning movement dynamics, and altering player-object interactions, in an attempt to obtain help, but I'm still not pleased with the results.

It's hard for us to guess what the problem could be. My advice would be to follow a tutorial 🙂
If you could put up your code somewhere, maybe we could be more helpful. Otherwise at least show some high level pseudo code of your main update loop.

sasha_brouse said:
Thank you for reading this and being prepared to provide a hand. Your knowledge and assistance mean a lot to me as I work to improve the gameplay experience for users.

This form is for asking questions or discussing problems. If you're looking a person to join your project, the hobby classifieds forum would be the place to try recruiting such a person.

If you want discuss or ask question, please give more details, ask about something specific. “for several parts I tried a number of things and it didn't work like I want” is not concrete enough to understand what could be wrong and/or understand what you did wrong and/or suggest an other approach. (We have no idea what you tried, what you want or how it didn't work, you need to tell us.)

I'd suggest to scale down, make a minimum example of one aspect (probably start with a simple problem for as far as you can judge). Show the code (or publish it at eg gtihub), tell us what you aim for and how it is fails to deliver it. If it needs to be seen running, make a video. If we need to read code give a few pointers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement