Issues with pathing and AI

Started by
1 comment, last by LorenzoGatti 1 month ago

Hi everyone,

I am currently developing a game in Unreal Engine 5 that uses an AI C++ class to pilot a pawn through the level and give information about the game as a sort of tutorial. When I started the text printed properly through debug messages, but once I had coded the full path, added the navigation volumes, and the volumes to cue certain information/movement, the pawn wouldn't follow the path and the debug messages also bugged out.

I was hoping that someone could help me find resources to learn more about implementing AI into UE C++ games.

Any pointers or tips on common mistakes would also be helpful!

Thank you!

None

Advertisement

Since it is certainly possible to animate a pawn walking around, you have a problem with some random mistake you made, not with insufficient knowledge of “implementing AI into UE C++ games”. This means that you need a debugging effort, not a learning effort.

As a debugging strategy, bisection should be an effective way to avoid unnecessarily close inspection (with a step by step debugger) of irrelevant details: mutilate, or roll back through version control if possible, your code until the pawn does follow the path, then identify which modification (in the sequence between the working and not working states of your code) introduced the defect.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement