🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

question about project

Started by
5 comments, last by GeneralJist 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Where online or in person could i find (pro or near pro) devs to help me work on a photoreal game project built from the ground up and how much would i expect to pay them a year? Is there any places I could get funding/donations for a game without having to pay anything in return or what options do i have?

Also if I put up design work online of just animations that I would have created in a 3d modeling program, but there is no coding behind it (as in to play), do you think people online may take interest in it and offer their hand without pay or less pay? What if it is just still 2d concept art work or what can I get by with?

Also how many people do you think I'd need on my team in order to have at least a demo (or final work) avaialble until I can get funding from a company (like a major publisher or developer?) that would be willing fund my game yet still keep the vision or most of it I have for the game? Is that even a thing?

Is funding from an outiside source like from a publisher necessary to complete a work? And roughly how long does it take to create a 3d fighting game if there are few people on the team or what are some rough calculations?

I am in San Antonio TX btw

Advertisement

Also what if the what if the demo that was produced was very rough (3d models and all). Would people still take the same interest you think to want to work on it or fund it?

zeneden said:
what if the what if the demo that was produced was very rough (3d models and all). Would people still take the same interest you think to want to work on it or fund it?

Investors and publishers want to see that you've already put a lot of good solid work on it. They don't like “very rough” all that much. https://sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.html

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What is the least amount of money you think i'd be able to spend on a project like this most minimal people on the team and how long do you think it would take to complete this project with this idea in mind? My game is a fighting game with a minimal character roster and wont have of extra modes like a story mode

You want professional quality work, expect professional rates.

Wages vary by location. In the expensive US cities the rates will start at 200k per year and go up. In inexpensive US places it might be 150k per year, or 100k for less skilled workers. Remember that the cost of hiring is more than typical wages earned as it must cover all the regular benefits, time off, equipment, and time between jobs, plus usually if they are good enough to live off freelancing they are on the hook for a different quality work.

You want five for a year, it is five years worth of money.

As for finding investors, “friends, family, and fools” is the normal route. Search for the phrase in your favorite search engine for very long lists of ideas.

ok so I'm going to treat this seriously despite numerous red flags.

You want professionals? yet your asking for the bare minimum they will accept?

look at COLA cost of living adjustments in your target city and do that.

sounds like you just want to make a game but not make a company?

And your asking what the bare minimum work you need to do to get people interested?

Do you mean interested to join or interested to invest?

if it's the 1st, you need a solid GDD, if the 2nd you need a successful company that has a vertical slice in hand. (aka people who are willing and able to follow through on the designs.

if you have none of these, your an idea guy.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement