Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Build failure on x86 MacOS

Started by ramcdona Jan 13, 2025 at 2:05 AM 4 replies 3.5k views
WitchLord
WitchLord

This wasn't brought to my attention earlier. Thanks for letting me know.

I will have a look at it, but as I do not have a Mac with x86 env set up I don't know if I'll be able to fix it.

The same code works with clang on Linux. So it appears to be something specific to Mac.

If you could suggest a fix that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - <a href="http://www.angelcode.com/tower" rel
BillyONeal
BillyONeal

We are seeing the same thing with the macOS 15 update in vcpkg: https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/43509

It looks like they also deprecated some atomics stuff AngelScript uses: https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/blob/67289b82d6af3557df612be5ad2efd8801621db5/ports/angelscript/avoid-atomic-deprecation-macos-15.diff

2-36a04abf5c.clean/angelscript/source/as_callfunc_x64_gcc.cpp.o -c /Users/vcpkg/Data/b/angelscript/src/elscript_2-36a04abf5c.clean/angelscript/source/as_callfunc_x64_gcc.cpp
/Users/vcpkg/Data/b/angelscript/src/elscript_2-36a04abf5c.clean/angelscript/source/as_callfunc_x64_gcc.cpp:148:4: error: invalid CFI advance_loc expression
  148 |                 " .cfi_def_cfa_register rsp \n"
      |                  ^
<inline asm>:44:2: note: instantiated into assembly here
   44 |  .cfi_def_cfa_register rsp 
      |  ^
1 error generated.

Perhaps Clang on Linux with the right control flow integrity switches flipped could repro? Looks like the bit that emits this was added in 2023: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/0b0672773e8b2ed01ad3fce103f4d84becfdd1ed according to https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/89087

WitchLord
WitchLord

If anyone can help me submit a patch for these issues with Mac I would be very grateful.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - <a href="http://www.angelcode.com/tower" rel
WitchLord
WitchLord

I believe this problem is resolved.

At least the regression test is successful on MacOS with x64 and Clang

https://github.com/anjo76/angelscript/actions/runs/18497843403/job/52706462856

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - <a href="http://www.angelcode.com/tower" rel

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.