Font rendering often makes use of the RGB subpixel layout of LCDs (or other screens, with different layouts) to create sharper edges with subpixel precision. For example LCDs (at least most of them) have a horizontal subpixel layout of RGB. I think some TV screens have vertical subpixels. Couldn't we use the same as a filter to produce sharper images for arbitrary graphics? I guess you would need a supersampled base image for that, though (although only at twice the horizontal resolution, not twice the vertical). Then if you have a colour gradient within a 2-pixel strip, you can adjust the blended pixel colour's components to make the edge appear in the middle of the pixel. It would distort the colour somewhat, but we also do not notice the distorted colours of anti-aliased text (although maybe that only works properly for black-on-white?)
Did anyone ever try or consider this approach? Of course it would be a bit expensive, but could add additional sharpness that no other method could provide, as to my knowledge, no established method makes use of the screen's subpixels. Ideally, if one could directly access the samples from a multisampled image, and perform the blending manually, that would be even better. But to my knowledge, that's a hardwired algorithm.
CRT graphics via composite cables back in the day did make use of the screen's characteristics via spatial dithering to achieve pixel blending and gradients. That basically improved colour depth despite having a limited palette, but it did not improve sharpness. For LCDs, the equivalent of exploiting the pixel structure IMO would be subpixel edges, and I haven't seen anyone do it.
P.S.: I found the Subpixel Image worsener. This seems to be exactly the process I want, although it only does per-channel downsampling, so channels do not bleed into each other. Interestingly, this also works for partial multiples, such as 1.5x resolution, so one does not have to necessarily double the rendering resolution. I wonder how expensive this is as a post-processing filter, and how far one can take it if colour channels affect each other properly. If the supersampled image is also multisampled, this should improve image quality even further, as this subpixel rendering only affects one image axis, while multisampling improves general quality.





