Alpha 2D/3D RTS Engine - Comments Wanted!

Started by
14 comments, last by Heaven 22 years, 4 months ago
Check out some shots and grab the zipped executable at: www.knology.net/~heaven It''s so darn big because I''m using BMPs for graphics. My apologies. I''d like to switch to JPEGs soon. Heh. Anyway, please tell me what you think. I''d love to share notes with anyone working on something similar. I''m aiming for something along the lines of War 2. With 3D terrain. Thanks in advance for any comments, positive or negative! Care, Chris Rasmus Florida, USA
Florida, USA
Current Project
Jesus is LORD!
Advertisement
Hey,

I love the wave effect on the water. Looks pretty original. As for the bitmaps, I think they look fine.

Love to see where it goes!

- Chris

/*
======================
Pop me an email
Here

"In Windows, the only thing opposing safe mode would be... Unsafe mode....??"
- Me

"hmm, I know the slogans "will work for food" and "will work for free", but "will pay for work I do" seems just a bit sick "
- MirekCz
======================
*/

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

BlackJester is right... That water is awesome...
Looks absolutely fantastic.
Very, very nice!

Good work!

Dr CRS
Dr Crs
Oh that is nice... I really like the landmass extending into the water and it being visible... That ROCKS! Keep up the good work dude!

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
It crashes on my machine with a GeForce2 and XP.

-Brannon
-Brannon
Yea, I have windows XP and a GeForce 2 as well. It fails to initialize the mouse, and then it can''t release the device context
TNT1 Win2000. It crashes also.
And it uses a very low refresh rate for the fullscreen mode, it''s hard for the eyes.
Thanks to all who''ve tried the demo, and thank you all for your comments. They are appreciated, and all very encouraging!

Except for the crashes...I added a command line option to prevent normal calculation. Haven''t uploaded a new .exe yet though. This seemed to be the cause of crash on Martin Zilz''s (MofuX/DoeMox) machine. We narrowed down the crash to the function that calculates terrain normals for lighting. When I commented it out the demo ran on his machine. I haven''t thoroughly examined the particular code to see why yet. It all looked like simple math routines, but apparently something was zapping his non-Win95 platform.

Anonymous Poster, it sounds like you didn''t unzip with the directories intact. The executable expects to find all of it''s data files in a subdirectory called ''data''. If for some reason you didn''t preserve the directory structure of the data.zip file, then you end up with all of the data files in the same directory as engine.exe. The first thing it tries to load is the mouse pointer (currently not used). Go back and make sure you unzip with the directories intact. Or else make a subdirectory called ''data'' and move all the .BMP files into it.

I''m working now on getting some rudimentary font support incorporated into the engine so I can display frames per second and other information.

Thanks again, and I''ll be sure to keep updating my site (http://www.knology.net/~heaven) as I make progress so keep checking back!

Care,
Chris Rasmus
Florida, USA
Florida, USA
Current Project
Jesus is LORD!
I did finally get this to work on my XP machine (using the -normal switch fixed the crash). The water animation is pretty cool. It seems like you are drawing the entire map every frame though. When I made the map huge, and then zoomed in pretty far on it, the frame rate dropped to 3. I hope you have plans for clipping the geometry you are sending to the card. Also, the tree sway is cool, but you might implement that as an animated texture vs. moving the quad back and forth, also some trees in a cluster right next to each other sway in different directions =)

Pretty cool though.

-Brannon
-Brannon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement