Converting 24-bit images to 16-bit

Started by
4 comments, last by MarkoBarko 22 years, 3 months ago
I do not need to code this but I will if I have to. I have been playing with Photoshop for hours and I cant figure out how to do this stupid conversion. Anyone know of any other tools that will do this? If not, can you point me to some sample code or tutorial... (I understand the error-diffusion method but I would rather not put the required effort into writing the code, when I could just get a program like Photoshop to do it or cut/paste someone elses code) Thanks
Advertisement
I could be wrong, but I don''t know if there are even any 16 bit image formats... I think 16-bits is only used by hardware.

Someone please correct me if I''m (very possibly) wrong.
quote:Original post by xjaspeersx
I could be wrong, but I don''t know if there are even any 16 bit image formats... I think 16-bits is only used by hardware.

Someone please correct me if I''m (very possibly) wrong.

TGA supports 16-bit colors. I''m sure there are other formats that support it too.
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
I think Photoshop doesn''t support 16bpp.
It''s either RGB(A) or paletted/indexed.

On the other hand, it can load 16bpp images. I think it will treat them as RGB/24bpp, but I don''t know what happens if you save them.

Try using another program, like PaintShop Pro. I know it supports 15 and 16bpp images.
Doesn''t the 16bpp format depend on the graphics card h/w? (5-6-5, 5-5-5) I thought that the
number of bits assigned for green was not universal.

From what I''ve read, it seems that most people create 24bpp graphics and convert them to
16bpp in their load routine.

The graphic card is queried during initialization to determine which bit format it uses, then each pixel
color is calculated by right shifting each RGB value 3 bits (2 for green in the case of 5-6-5 format)
quote:Original post by Blaster
I think Photoshop doesn''t support 16bpp.
It''s either RGB(A) or paletted/indexed.

You can save an RGB image as a 16bpp TGA file in Photoshop 6. I don''t know about earlier versions.
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement