Where do you guys get your 3D models from?

Started by
11 comments, last by bakery2k1 22 years, 3 months ago
I have come to the point in my programming where I need quite a lot of 3d models. However, I''m not (too) interested in making them myself, as that would mean less time coding! I have seen some great screenshots on this board, where do you get your models from? Have you taken the plunge and learnt to make them yourselves, or what? Thanks
Advertisement
get maya or 3d studio max

you still have to make your own but it saves time...

..I still dont get the difference between c and c++...
..I still dont get the difference between c and c++...
Milkshape3d is your friend...... =)

-------------------------
www.geocities.com/nitzanw
www.scorchedearth3d.net
-------------------------
I''m using MilkShape and the .md2 file format from Quake 2.. they are working fine for me on my current programming level..;-)

azaxaca-> How do u implement models from 3D Studio Max??

Halloko
Well, you could try this link, it has links to lots of sites with *free* models, but in the long run, it''s better just to make your own. (Nasty copyrighting issues)

http://www.3dlinks.com/objects_free.cfm
"No break 'till you die!" - Mr. Foster, my English teacher
I use "Milk Shape 3D" and "3D Studio Max R3".

How ever there are some sites like www.polycount.com or www.3dcafe.com, that offer free 3D models.

I use a progy called Zmodeler; Get it @ www.zmodeler.com, it''s mostly for cars but you can save it in lots of formats and convert those to Quake 2. (for example .3ds format). It''s totally free and it''s size is 1 mb. Despite that it''s a cool program.
Look at Romka''s site, it should be some models there.. However, I recomend you to get your hands on 3d studio max or any program of that kind and make your models by yourself =) It''s time consuming, but it''s worth the effort when you''re done and you have a model you''ve made at your own!

Kenneth Wilhelmsen
Try my little 3D Engine project, and mail me the FPS. WEngine
Or just visit my site
--------------------------
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has
been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This
disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless
brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder
Ok, this -might- sound stupid, but why not team up with (a) graphics artist(s) to make graphics for your game?... You know there are graphics art scenes out there, like this is a programming scene site! There are artists out there just aching for the chance to get exposure!!!
Everyone is recommending that you get a modeler and make the model yourself, but what if you just suck at modeling? In my opinion TheGilb has the right idea. Unless you have a great talent and creativity it can be impossible to make models that look like what you want. However, if you are creative and can apply it to models then by all means make your own.

I hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example, but look below and behold, DJ_GL is proof of my word, the program doesn't make the talent.

Edited by - HelplessFool on January 6, 2002 1:45:59 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement