Do you use the DirectX Common Files?

Started by
10 comments, last by Promit 22 years, 3 months ago
The common files are created by the DirectX8 AppWizard for MSVC6. They deal with a lot of lower level things, making programming as easy as itcan be. I really like those files. The d3dapp.cpp provides 2000 lines of initialization, enumeration, validation, and error checking, so I don''t have to write it myself. Do you use it? Why/Why not? ----------------------------- The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Nope, I''ve never used it. I feel it prevents me from learning to do initialization, enumeration, validation, and error checking myself, which, in the long run, becomes the roots of a very lazy programmer.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com
No, I use OpenGL..

Billy
Sure I use it.

After having read it carefuly I have modified it about 40%
to add/remove/modify stuff.
and now it''s a part of my code wich allow me to change res
and all the stuff that allow normal game.

It''s solid like a rock and contain stuff that I would never
think about without it.

Use it or not but at least STUDY d3dapp carefuly
its a really good base to learn and do your hown.

A good game is not one with 100% code really homemade... Its a
FINISHED game and doing all yourself is a good way not to finish
it.

two euro

Dan
Correction, doing it all yourself is a good way for a lazy or unconfident person not to finish it.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com
mdfmKorn: Dont be such an hardass. It is the ideal way for beginner DirectX coders to start out. They learn the basic stuff about DirectX and how to do all kinds of funky stuff, and when they know more or less what goes on inside, they can learn how to initialize everything, etc.
Besides, its all tested code for compatibility and besides, it ought to be reliable enough
to code or not to code, that is the algorithm
I believe DX learning begins from initialization (and that's how I learned it). Besides, it's very simple really for DX8 - u just choose what u need (screen resolution, graphics format). Enumeration is a lot easier too (compared to previous DX versions). And once you've done that - you save your routine for later use. There are many "basic" things u have to know to do initialization (like D3D texture formats, etc). And if you don't know the basis, how would you work with complex 3D scene structure?

Edited by - Lifepower on January 9, 2002 3:31:17 PM
*chuckles lightly*

Yeah, ought to be reliable enough...

I like to dig into the roots of things. Eh, I guess I get a little carried away. I know, it''s all really in the style you choose and what your goal is.

I''m not trying to come across as a hardass. I''d make the sorriest hardass, believe me.

----
Herb M. (mdfmKoRn)
www.sky-meyg.com
s3202@attbi.com
I use a pretty seriously modified version of the common files, not the originals.

I don''t consider it a "black box", just "prewritten code".

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I think it''s ok to use DX Common Files if you already aware of what''s happending there, etc. Still, I prefer using my own routines since if something goes wrong, there''ll be nobody to blame except me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement