(More) Effective C++ vs. (More) Exceptional C++

Started by
5 comments, last by meZmo 22 years, 4 months ago
Meyers Effective C++ books, or Sutter''s Exceptional C++ books? I''ve gotten the impression that these are basicly these same. Any thoughts? Anyone own both series? Do these books teach me anything that my C++: The Complete Reference, don''t. Or is it just the same in more words? BTW: I''m not a C++ newbie, but I do want to broaden my knowledge. -meZ
Advertisement
I haven't read Sutter's books, so I can't compare, but the Meyers books are excellent. I highly recommend them.

C++: The Complete Reference is there to teach you what the language is. Meyers' books are there to teach you how to properly use it. I personally think once a new programmer has learned the basics of C++, the Meyers books should be required reading.
I''ve read 3 Meyer''s books Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL and most of one of Sutter''s Exceptional C++

I''d say start with Meyer''s books - they are more general and hit the ''basics'' very well.

I think the Exceptional C++ book is esoteric and far more detailed on a fewer set of subjects.
the exceptional book focuses mostly on exceptions. It was ok reading I guess but unless you are really into exceptions I wouldn''t recommend it. The Effective book is good, I recommend getting it.
Both are good.

Exceptional C++ is based on newsgroup comp.lang.c++.moderated Guru of the Week.

Edited by - void on January 12, 2002 1:53:46 AM
Man, I should have join that BN book club a long time ago. All these books are so bloody expensive.

I''d be nice if you could the whole Addison&Wesley series on CD or on website for a monthly fee or something...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Thanks for the replies. I''m off to amazon. :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement