Overawed by Direct3D

Started by
11 comments, last by Gwahir the Windlord 22 years, 3 months ago
you do realize that loading various formats ARE ussually done as functions or classes. anyhoo, d3d8 has texture loading capabilities (functions that create a texture surface froma file) which include bmp, jpg (pretty sure), tga (with alpha channel), png (again unsure). the main reason i am unsure about the exact capabilities of the loading functions is simply because i use my own image loader system which stays away from using HBITMAP DIB loading hack style crap. there is also ability to load .x format 3d models. i think there is even a converter with the sdk that converts from 3ds to .x format.
Advertisement
OT:
quote:Original post by DanG
He who said money was the root of all evil knew little of the nature of money and less about the nature of man.

Actually, he who said "money is the root of all evil" misquoted a proverb. Ironically, everyone assumes the misquote is the original.

Look it up some time. The actual statement has a subtle but profound difference.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
When i was using D3D8, i found two "gotchas". One was the matrices things. That was just standard 3D theory though. The BIG gotcha was the vertex structures. After you understand what the hell those are, then things start making sense.

PS when starting, dont worry about rhw. Just set it to one.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement