Seting coordinates of a character?

Started by
7 comments, last by Krypton 22 years, 3 months ago
I''m a newbie programmer, just started learning C++ a few months ago. Here is my dilema... I have a programming project for school. This project is a win32 consol app. I''m using C++ for all of my programming and I''m wondering if there is a way to set a character to a certain (x, y) position on the screen. My task is to create a gameboard (like chess) for our groups game. I have the board done, but I need a way to place characters inside the squares. This would be rather easy if there was a way to set the characters X Y coordinates and display that character at that location. How would I do this? Any help would be, well... helpfull. Thanks
-KryptonDigiPen StudentToxic Fire EntertainmentProduct Manager
Advertisement
????

HBITMAP image = (HBITMAP)LoadImage(blablabla);
HDC hdcimage = CreateCompatibleDC(mainDC);

SelectObject(mainDC,hdcimage);

BitBlt(mainDC,positionX,positionY,imageXwidth,imageYwidth,hdcimage,0,0,SRCCOPY);

The positionX and positionY are the variable that tells the location of the image.

Electron

"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it."

--Electron"The truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it.""'General failure trying to read from file' - who is General Failure, and why is he reading my file??"
Are you drawing the game with ASCII or mode 13h or something?

I know there are ways to move the ASCII cursor''s position in a win32 console app.. try looking up keywords console cursor on MSDN.
Narcusmy homepage:http://www.pcis.net/amenzies
SetConsoleCursorPosition()

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
#include <conio.h>...gotoxy(1,1);cout << test << endl; 
delete this;
quote:Original post by Tjoppen
#include <conio.h>...gotoxy(1,1);cout << test << endl;  

The gotoxy() function is (sadly) not a standard function, so the above example will only work with the few C libraries that support it (AFAIK only the one supplied with Borland''s compilers, but perhaps a few others as well).
This is with ascii characters.

I know how to do this in windows programming, but not with a console application.

(I'm using Microsoft Visual c++ 6.0) The gotoxy didn't work,

'gotoxy' : undeclared identifier

Edited by - Krypton on January 16, 2002 1:03:32 PM

Edited by - Krypton on January 16, 2002 1:04:45 PM
SetConsoleCursorPosition()! Look it up in MSDN.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM | STL | Google ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
OK, I shall try SetConsoleCursorPosition()

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement