What is your favortie 3d modeling program and why?

Started by
20 comments, last by HJB417 22 years, 3 months ago
was just curious because I see a lot of 3dmax users and no one seems to use maya. I use maya but I''ve never used 3dmax before. Am I missing out on something? -------------------------- One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak
--------------------------One problem with the programmer''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak
Advertisement
I can''t afford eighter, and sometimes I wonder how many people here can afford them?
I guess its because of different economies, and the student discounts and all that.

I havent used Maya, I like 3d Studio, but like I just said, can''t afford it.

my Favorite is AC3D (www.ac3d.org), and I just got into Milkshape, in many things seems better than AC3D, but I guess you cant really compare those to the big names.

for the record, I am a programmer, just something to keep in mind, if you are looking for art expertise, I am not your guy

3dstudio!. I work many time with truespace but when start 3dstudio all goes more easily. Maya is too expensive and elitist.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
3D studio because:

it is better known and supported by game makes which facilitates importing / exporting to my proprietary format

[Insert cool signature here]
[Insert cool signature here]
I use Maya.

I used MAX quite a bit back in version 2 and 2.5 I used it to do a shot for the movie "The Truman Show" It was a toss up between Softimage and 3DS Max and for that particular shot MAX won out for a couple specific features that Softimage didnt have.

When I started using Maya I was shocked at how much faster and efficient it was at doing things. This isnt to say MAX isnt a great program of course. but Maya just felt better to me and so I kept learning it and over time it has become that much more powerful the more I learn about it.

As for specific things and features one has that the other doesnt...I couldnt tell you without really doing a hands on comparison.

I know MAX defnitely has a more developed and stronger renderer, but Maya will catch up soon.

todd siechen
realeyz imaging
todd@realeyz.com
www.realeyz.com
todd siechenrealeyz imagingtodd@realeyz.comwww.realeyz.com
I use both, however, it depends on what i am using it for, i only use maya for highly detailed scenes (Movies), i use max for more simple things, and low polygon models, or all game stuff for that matter.
good stuff, good stuff. thx for the replies.

--------------------------
One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak
--------------------------One problem with the programmer''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak
Maya £16000, 3DStudio £3000 , Truespace can be found free on cover discs. I use Truespace it covers all my gaming needs, It exports Xfiles and i render to Bmps for sprite stuff. Its a good package, seriously underated (in the UK).
ya, I know maya is expensive as hell. Cost more than most cars but we have some old sgi machines at our school with maya 3 and 4.

--------------------------
One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak
Blender.
It''s free, and I''ve managed to do some pretty funky stuff with it so far. Models and meshes are still a bit crude, about Myst 1 level, but the textures are great. As soon as I figure out how to include pics in my posts (and get over my paranoia about you lot stealing my artwork), I''ll add to the "latest work" thread.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement