Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HJB417

What is your favortie 3d modeling program and why?

was just curious because I see a lot of 3dmax users and no one seems to use maya. I use maya but I''ve never used 3dmax before. Am I missing out on something? -------------------------- One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak

I can''t afford eighter, and sometimes I wonder how many people here can afford them?
I guess its because of different economies, and the student discounts and all that.

I havent used Maya, I like 3d Studio, but like I just said, can''t afford it.

my Favorite is AC3D (www.ac3d.org), and I just got into Milkshape, in many things seems better than AC3D, but I guess you cant really compare those to the big names.

for the record, I am a programmer, just something to keep in mind, if you are looking for art expertise, I am not your guy

3dstudio!. I work many time with truespace but when start 3dstudio all goes more easily. Maya is too expensive and elitist.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

I use Maya.

I used MAX quite a bit back in version 2 and 2.5 I used it to do a shot for the movie "The Truman Show" It was a toss up between Softimage and 3DS Max and for that particular shot MAX won out for a couple specific features that Softimage didnt have.

When I started using Maya I was shocked at how much faster and efficient it was at doing things. This isnt to say MAX isnt a great program of course. but Maya just felt better to me and so I kept learning it and over time it has become that much more powerful the more I learn about it.

As for specific things and features one has that the other doesnt...I couldnt tell you without really doing a hands on comparison.

I know MAX defnitely has a more developed and stronger renderer, but Maya will catch up soon.

todd siechen
realeyz imaging
todd@realeyz.com
www.realeyz.com

I use both, however, it depends on what i am using it for, i only use maya for highly detailed scenes (Movies), i use max for more simple things, and low polygon models, or all game stuff for that matter.

good stuff, good stuff. thx for the replies.

--------------------------
One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak

Maya £16000, 3DStudio £3000 , Truespace can be found free on cover discs. I use Truespace it covers all my gaming needs, It exports Xfiles and i render to Bmps for sprite stuff. Its a good package, seriously underated (in the UK).

ya, I know maya is expensive as hell. Cost more than most cars but we have some old sgi machines at our school with maya 3 and 4.

--------------------------
One problem with the programmer''''s mentality is insecurity. This goes deep. An insulting college litany says that failed mathematicians become computer programmers. They are also ridiculed for being nerdy losers, for being too fat or too skinny, and for having few social skills. Most programmers can be spotted easily in a crowd. Nobody really wants to hang out with them. Put thousands of these people in one company and if you can get them to work, you become a billionaire. -John C. Dvorak

Blender.
It''s free, and I''ve managed to do some pretty funky stuff with it so far. Models and meshes are still a bit crude, about Myst 1 level, but the textures are great. As soon as I figure out how to include pics in my posts (and get over my paranoia about you lot stealing my artwork), I''ll add to the "latest work" thread.

Maya is elitist??? lmfao.

I use Maya, easier to use, greater capabilites and just more powerful than Max.

If you´re using Maya now, don´t switch, you didn´t miss a thing.

I use Rhino3d right now... Believe it or not, you can do a LOT with the program and its very easy to use. Although, it cannot do animation and has a lot of limitations. If your doing something simple, I HIGHLY recommend it.

However, I''m currently learning Cinema 4d. Its a very nice proggie

quote:
Original post by Hase
Maya is elitist??? lmfao.

I use Maya, easier to use, greater capabilites and just more powerful than Max.

If you´re using Maya now, don´t switch, you didn´t miss a thing.

Elitist?

Yep:
-expensive.
-a ,little Maya''s Communities.

ps: I don''t say that Max is better that maya.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

Well, if good=elitist then I suppose I´m guilty as charged. And quality usually has its price.

Maya is very expensive, that´s why the community is so small. And to my experience most Maya users know Max anyway, so you´re dealing with the same people.

I''ve used Max, Maya, Truespace and SoftImage in the past, and although Maya is fantastic as a modeller, I prefer SoftImage as an overall game designing app.
The reason being, I think Alias still has some catching up to do with the UV mapping side of things, and we all know that the majority of an 3D artist''s time is usually spent mapping textures.
Max would be my last choice as a game app, and not because it''s not capable of doing everything, I just don''t like certain aspects which I think are overly complicated.
I don''t like the "stack" because it''s a memory hog, and a few very simple things like copying and pasting UV co-ordinants (which you can do in Maya and SoftImage) are omitted.
I like Truespace for it''s ease of use, and it''s quite a fun program to play with, but in my opinion not too good as a serious game dev app.
Anyway, thats my two cents.

Muff, have you had a look at Maya 4? The UV part is vastly improved, extracting a skinmesh is a thing of less than half an hour... and the unwrapping tools are really helpful too...

I use MAX atm, but would to get my Mitts On Maya
One of the differences with 3D packages is the actual style of the final Render. Max''s renderer has improved over the years, howver I do like the precise finish Maya seems to give images.

MAX is a versatile, easy-to-use solid package, ideal if you''re considering building low or hi poly models.

Maya looks to have excellent animation support as far as I know, this is often one of it''s attractions, however since I haven''t actually used it I won''t say anyone

If you''ve used Maya & MAX, can you post here why in an instance you''d use one package over the other? (curious)

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk

First off, if it''s low poly game asset modeling your mostly doing, don''t worry too much about the renderer, they''re all pretty good these days, and you probably won''t be using it that much.
IMO Maya is way better and faster than Max for modeling (although you can script tasks in both).
To sum it up quickly... tools that are often a single mouse click away in Maya are often several mouse clicks or menu''s away in Max, and Maya just makes more sense to my way of doing the simple little things that take up 90% of your time.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I use Cinema, the latest Version is really awesome. Especially if you combine it with Bodypaint.

Maya has a very slow Renderer in comparison to Cinema.