In-Game Mp3 Playback Methods

Started by
1 comment, last by Crash 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys, Im kinda stuck at the moment with implementing an mp3 soundtrack to my latest game and I was wondering what options are available to me. So far I have used DirectShow but that has failed due to out dated files (DirectX8 still works and is being used though, in case that is needed) and I have looked into using SDL and SDL_Mixer but I had a few problems, and more importantly I don''t really want to be forced into releasing my code. So, apart from programming my own decoder, what options are there availble to me that could be used in-game without too much of a speed hit? Hoping Someone Can Help, Crash, "We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000 "If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001
Advertisement
SDL is licenced under the LGPL, not the GPL.

Which means that if you dynamically link with it, you only have to include the source/object of the library itself, not that of your whole game.

quote:From the licence page
The most common way to comply with the license is to dynamically link with SDL, and then include the SDL source code and appropriate notices with your application.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Oh ok, I''''l look into that, but are there any other techniques I could use?
"We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success." - 2000"If You Keep Looking Forward Your Gonna End Up Looking Backwards At Yourself Running Sideways!" - 2001

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement