Beating Boredom

Started by
27 comments, last by hairycoconuts 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys, I was just wondering, as a newbie myself, how you beated boredom while programming in C++? Did you find it boring at the start? I mean with only seeing that old win32 Console window? And another thing, when you were learning about functions, classes statements etc, did you learn it so you didn''t need to refer to books or did you understand the basics and move on? The reason I ask is that i find myself reading chapters about functions again and again and still not being able to reproduce and write them myself without the aid of books! Am I doing something wrong? Thankz for everyones help, ----------------------- This space is for sale -----------------------
-----------------------This space is for sale-----------------------
Advertisement
well - I''m still a OpenGl newbie but I''m programming c++ since 2 years and before that I was prgramming turbo pascal (someone remembers 80x25 screens ?? )

well first you have to have fun with programming languages - nothing is more bad than doing something you don''t like as a hobbie (or even worse as job)
so when you don''t have fun with programming WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE ???

but I can''t say I even have ever fun - but when I don''t have fun but still want to programm (because a problem starts to piss me off) then I hear a bit music - 5 gigs of music on my HD - mainly Nirvana. (someone still remembers Kurt Cobain ???)

get Music/ hear music when you are bored
I hate signatures !!!
Classes, functions, etc will become second nature at some point so thie will reduce boredom induced from referring to books. As for using the console window, well it depends on what your using it for. Try challenging yourself a bit. If you can do the simple stuff ,eg a palindrome checker, try improving it to use dynamic storage or vectors. If this doesn''t float your boat then try other things, maybe a menu system to store book data and read/write to file. The possibilities are endless...

You''d be surprised how much you can get into it with just the console window, I still use it whenever possible for testing classes.
I'm almost a bit scared to post that....

I have begun programming in turbo pascal (yes Sigma I remember 80x25 screens and Kurt Cobain, too - none but Metallica is a better band ) and quickly advanced to Delphi.

Okay this forum is full of C++ programmers but Delphi is great in motivating you. It's easy to achieve first results and you don't have to care much for the boring stuff. I don't have to register window classes and do lines of api calls to get a win32 application running.
And it's a prejudice that Delphi limits you compared to C++. It's not even slower.

However the programming basics are the same in every language and when you feel ready to switch to C / C++ you shouldn't encounter great problems. I'm currently learning C++ and it's really easy because it's only the syntax that changes.

Best of all is that you get Delphi Personal for free at www.borland.com so perhaps Delphi is a alternative for you?

Still i agree with Sigma. You should have fun with programming... if you have to force yourself to learn it you should not learn it.

cya
thomas

Edited by - Lithander on February 2, 2002 8:44:30 AM
do what i did..

if i dont understand something, i read the paragraph/chapter over and over again untill i understand/memorize. or if that doesnt help, find something else(other tutorial) and repeat the process over and over again.

pretty painful at first but when you do understand it, you wouldnt understand how fun it is to program. i learned c++ in matter of couple of months.

hope that helps
..I still dont get the difference between c and c++...
@Lithander : in deinem profile steht das du aus deutschland bist - kannst du denn auch deutsch
I hate signatures !!!
quote:Original post by Lithander
I''m almost a bit scared to post that....

I have begun programming in turbo pascal (yes Sigma I remember 80x25 screens and Kurt Cobain, too - none but Metallica is a better band ) and quickly advanced to Delphi.

Okay this forum is full of C++ programmers but Delphi is great in motivating you. It''s easy to achieve first results and you don''t have to care much for the boring stuff. I don''t have to register window classes and do lines of api calls to get a win32 application running.
And it''s a prejudice that Delphi limits you compared to C++. It''s not even slower.

You say Delphi is easier, more fun (I agree with the easier. I like both kinds though so more fun is something which changes per person. Most people indeed think C++ is more boring than VB or Delphi.) and not slower.

If it really didn''t have this con, why would all the pro''s (ok maybe not all but most of them) use C++ and not Delphi? I think Delphi is slower if you use them both optimized, and it has limitations.

Still I can''t say you should choose for C++, I used VB first too and VB and Delphi are both great languages, although I think advanced people should really use C++
well - pascal (object or turbo) are very important to learn how to programm structured - Nikolaus Wirth rules !!!
I hate signatures !!!
I agree with ZGL_Sigma : If you don''t enjoy coding then what are you doing here... OK.. it can be a hell when you start something complety new a you dont know what anything does.. but that''s also the fun part... and like everybody here i started at pascal too. moved to delphi and then to C++.. and learned some other languages on the road (x86 asm, oberon, java, C#,..)

and if you''re bored.. just start winamp and turn on some music... (i have it startup with resumer plugin)..

and please dont start another programming language fight here

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
hariycoconuts ... have you had any experience with other programming languages?

If you haven''t, I won''t says it''s necessarily bad to jump straight into C/C++, but you are definately doing it the hard way. Maybe you ought to look at either VB or Delphi (or both), simply because you''ll see the effects of what you are trying to achieve far more quickly. These languages are far more ''instant'' in that you''ll have an app up and runnning far more quickly than with C/C++. This will teach you general programminng skills far more quickly than with C/C++.

Personally, I use VB a lot to test an algorithm or create little helper apps, where performance isn''t an issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement