What's your opinion on SDL?

Started by
10 comments, last by Drizzt DoUrden 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello. I''m just wondering (this isn''t a poll) what every one using SDL thinks? Do you like it? Do you find it simple to use? If you''ve used DirectDraw before, which API do you like better? What kind have games have you made with SDL? Heh. I love SDL. It''s simple to the point where almost anyone with little programming expierience can use it, and it can do just as much as DirectDraw, so it is quite powerful. After using SDL, I''ve begun to understand the concept of game programming, and I think I''m ready to go back to OpenGL soon (I just wan''t to make a few 2D games; I gave up on OpenGL a few months back because 3D was alittle hard for me, but). SDL, for such a simplified API, is quite fast performance wise (even on my old computer that was horrible), which is good because with OpenGL I had alot of speed problems, which was rather annoying. I must say that I am personally happy with SDL, and I think anyone who uses/has used it will agree. -Keith ------------------------------ Simple DirectMedia Layer:
Main Site - (www.libsdl.org) Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net) GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)
OpenGL:
Main Site - (www.opengl.org) NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net) Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
I agree.
Agreed.

I couldn''t get past setting up DirectX without several aspirin. SDL does all I need with no fuss.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
The only DirectDraw advantage I can think of is if you are
planning on looking for a gameprogrammer job in the future, but then again companies wants you to have experience in 3D so even in this case DirectDraw is irrelevant.

SDL > DirectDraw simply.

SDL is especially great for beginners/intermediate IMO.
I thouroughly regret that I wasted any time with DirectDraw at all when I started out, complete waste of time.
C++, C++, C++
I also think SDL is great. Is it easy to use and have some great extra libs etc.

I am working on a simple fly around with your spaceship and kill your enemies kind of game. And the SDL is making my life much better because I just have to learn gameprogramming and not learn some hard API or do all the gfx/sound/etc - functions myself. (But I still do some gfx functions like printing numbers, text and so on, just for the learning).

// Lubic
Direct Draw isn''t THAT bad....Just ugly....
-------------Ban KalvinB !
I prefer SDL to DirectDraw. It shrinks your code size for setting up a window and the video. Helps you get up and going with actual gamedev instead of learning pages of windows and directdraw code (not that its a bad thing to do).
I started with DirectX7.a, then dropped uncle Bill and DirectX when I realised I would have to download 100 MB+ to use DirectX 8 with my VC++ 5.0
I then switched to SDL windows version then dropped Windows completely and converted to the true faith ( Linux ).
It was a piece of cake to recompile the SDL sources made on Windows to Linux.

DX is well done and very well documented.
SDL is simple, specially when dealing with bitmaps loading.
It works good in conjunction with OpenGL.
The only thing ( as far as I know ) that SDL lacks is blitting with scaling and rotation.

Just my $ .0127 ( CDN$ .02 )
This might sound repetative, but...

I too am loving SDL. Not only is it much smaller and more straight foward than DirectX, but it''s simpler. Now I can focus on the game''s code, rather than how the hell to setup and work with the video and audio (which drove me nutts in DirectX). I''m currently working on a template which will hopefully lead me into my first major game, which I actually plan to complete. Too many of my games have been hindered by my inability to cope with DirectX. Now I actually have a fighting chance, thank you SDL!

*** Big Smile, Thumbs Up, Tooth Sparkling, and Winks ***
couldn''t agree with you more
although I do wish it had some basic text support,
and GUI functions to play with, but I''m not
complaining great for beginners like myself

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement