.NET

Started by
5 comments, last by d000hg 22 years, 2 months ago
Does .NET have a c++ development system or only c#? Why is it free when msvc costs hundreds of quid/dollars? If it supports c++ i.e an updated version of msvc, anyone know where I can get a copy without joining msdn?
Advertisement
It has C++.
It is not free : joining MSDN costs thousands of $ per year (Universal : $2800, Enterprise : $2200, Pro : $1200 ), a bit less for renewal.
Amazon: VS.NET Pro : $699, VS.NET Pro Upgrade : $199 (with mail-in rebates).

Edited by - Fruny on February 16, 2002 9:47:52 AM
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

quote:
Does .NET have a c++ development system or only c#?

You can write .Net code with C++. It''s mostly for legacy purposes though, if you''re going to build a new .Net app from the ground up, you''re better off using C#.

quote:
Why is it free when msvc costs hundreds of quid/dollars?

What is free? The .Net development kit? That''s a little like saying you can download the Java JDK for free, but Borland JBuilder costs hundreds of dollars.

quote:
If it supports c++ i.e an updated version of msvc, anyone know where I can get a copy without joining msdn?

Is VS.Net in stores yet? I''m not sure, I''d imagine so. You can buy one that way, or from a number of online retailers.

Take care,
Bill
I downloaded the .NET Framework SDK and compilers last week from MSDN - the public site, not the subscribers''.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
The Framework itself(commandline compilers, tools(even a graphical debugger) and documentation) is free and will remain so. If you want an IDE, you can either shell out for Visual Studio Pro and above, get one of the Visual XXX Standard editions, or try some of the third party alternatives, f.ex Sharpdevelop(free).
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
sorry but what is the difference between c++ and c#? is c# a compiled language or more like java. Is there support for it ie directx?
Check all the other threads on it, d000hg
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement