anyone ever actually FINISH an RPG?

Started by
31 comments, last by krez 22 years, 2 months ago
it seems that many many people here are "working on their RPG" (just as i am), and i am curious if any of you people ever actually finished one? i didn''t see many in the GDNet showcase, and i saw NO completed ones. --- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
shhhhh! Don''t let the cat out the bag!

Actually, I haven''t seen any complete game of more than average complexity. But that''s perfectly okay, because I suppose we can consider this all a learning experience.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
yup, i agree.

I dont think people even expect to finish there games, it''s all about the learning, so that next time they can do it quicker.
that''s sorta how i saw it... but i figured someone must have actually finished before!
i wonder if i am diluded in thinking that i will finish mine...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
The thought of not finishing mine has not came to my mind either so at least you're not alone

I think Terran by Aeon Software (no relation at all with my project) seems to have fairly complete engine, but the story was kind of short (not finished) last time I checked, I am getting the feeling that It will take me more time developing the story than its taking me to finish the engine.

Edited by - kwizatz on February 22, 2002 8:58:35 PM
quote:Original post by krez
it seems that many many people here are "working on their RPG" (just as i am), and i am curious if any of you people ever actually finished one? i didn''t see many in the GDNet showcase, and i saw NO completed ones.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I did finish one, back when I was in secondary 4. the worst part is, it was made in QuickBasic. Back in those days, DOS was still popular though... But we did finish it, we were a small team of 3 programmers and one GFX artist.

We never released it though, heck, I''m not even sure if I still have it.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
I did manage to write a complete game for my book, Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX. Although the game is very short, it does show how quickly a real game can be put together. Check it out!

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX"
It takes evil black magic to complete an RPG...

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That''s where we come in; we''re computer professionals. We cause accidents."
-Nathaniel Borenstein
-----------------------------When men speak of the future, the Gods laugh.An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
I completed one, for my senior project. It was very similar to the original Dragon Warrior. It was for the Cybkio, so it was relatively simple, but people who played it almost always declared it the best third party game for the Cybiko.
I completed my clone of Bards Tale in C back when i had my Amiga, but then again, it was just a replica

But as the rest of you, i got tons of docs and sources which are supposed to become a complete rpg in the end. Ofcourse that will never happen, but the fun lies in just messing with the code and "designing" skill- and battle-engine. So far i have a texture-less fftactics-ish 3d engine in which i can issue move commands to characters.

- defster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement