Original Post
After repeated failure with getting things to work on BCC55, I''ve tried switching over to DevC++, but my problems refuse to relent.
I made a little test program consisting of a simple "Person" class. It has private fields for name, age, and gender, 3 constructors (default, one asking for their name, age, and gender, and a copy), and then three accessor fields (one for each private field).
Then I have the test program to impliment it. It requests the user''s name/age/gender. Then prints out their age. Trivial, but again, just a test.
I kept everything in the same *.cpp file, added it to a DevC++ project and tried to compile it, but I got a slew of crazy errors, including, but not limited to:
syntax error before '';''
parse error before ''n''
syntax error before''(''
''name'' undeclared (first use this function)
(Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
ANSI C++ forbids declaration ''age'' with no type.
''g'' was not declared in this scope.
....
....
It''s as if it doesn''t know what a class is =-(
Earlier I was having more problems trying to get some Dx tutorial code to work, but I get more and more errors each time I compile (that''s how it feels anyway). How can I begin to learn more complicated things if I can''t get the begining tutorial code to run???
Problems like this don''t instill confidence in the workability of C++ compilers, I doubt I would ever spend a lot of money on a professional one if I''m just going to end up with more errors. I just don''t see how so many people are having fun with things like Direct X and game programming when I can''t get pre-made ready-to-work code examples to work. It''s really aggrivating and I''ve been trying to figure it out for about a week. I don''t want to invest money in a book on it, either, because I''m sure I''ll get it in the mail and find out I can''t get it to run. Can anyone help me out here?
"I''''m not evil... I just use the power of good in evil ways."
