Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Changing Bit Depth in OGL/WIN32

Started by SpazBoy the Mitey Feb 28, 2002 at 11:08 PM 2 replies 800+ views
Original Post
SpazBoy the Mitey
SpazBoy the Mitey
I am trying to write a program that will change to user selected resolution / bit depth, but if I change to a display mode with a different bit depth to the desktop all my colours come out wrong. WAHT IS WRONG HERE? I checked it with the NeHe Lesson 2 code, I have a 16 BPP desktop and I changed into a 24BPP fullscreen mode and my shapes came out the wrong colour. Is there any way around it?
I''m not interested, really.
haust
haust
- what''s your card ??
- did you updated the driver ??
invective
invective
Most cards render in either 16bit or 32bit mode -- not 24bit. If you want true color use a 32bit mode.
SpazBoy the Mitey
SpazBoy the Mitey
I have tested this on 2 computers with two different video cards
under 2 operating systems.

My OS is Windows 2000 & my video card is an intel i740, which supports 16 bit & 24 bit, but not 32 bit.

The other computer is running Windows 98. I don''t know which video card it has, but it runs 16 bit & 32 bit, but not 24 bit.

The problem is, that if the program changes the bit depth to one that is different to the desktop''s bit depth (ie the bit depth is 32 and you set 16) then you get nothing/the wrong colours. My drivers are current enough.
I''m not interested, really.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.