Should I buy "Inside COM+" ?

Started by
5 comments, last by bob_the_third 22 years, 2 months ago
There''s a copy of the book "Inside COM+" at the bookstore at my college for $4.99. I''m tempted to buy it, but I wanted to know whether COM+ is still being used in Windows OS''s or whether it''s being (or has been) phased out. Did .NET replace it or are they totally different things (I still use Windows 95, hence my ignorance. .
Advertisement
.Net objects are very similar to COM objects
OLE and ActiveX are part of COM as well.

There''s several books in that series.
I have Base Services, which covers the backbone of the COM. The backbone is what different in .Net - but once the objects are created it works the same way.

Just about every Microsoft program is implemented as a set of COM objects. Office, hence Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, etc... DirectX is a set of COM objects too.

In short COM isn''t going away anytime soon. If you want to develop for Windows, knowing something about COM is a good idea.

A book on the ATL is also useful - the ATL is a set of C++ templates to implement COM objects. There''s a new version that came out with VS.Net, and it''s a bit different but the core is still the same.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Thanks. I might just swing by the bookstore and buy it.
I have "Inside COM" not "Inside COM+". The book I have is more of a reference of the COM specification under windows. Its not been very useful unless I have a very technical question about how COM works. Its been helpful with multithreading problems. It wasn''t a very good book for teaching COM, though...

The COM+ start page on MSDN says COM+ works on Windows 98 and NT.

I suspect the same book on COM+ would not be as useful for me. COM+ is basicially COM with transacted operations (MTS) built in. I''ve never had a need for it. You might be better off with a basic COM book. The Wrox ATL series is very good.

Its a different book, but that''s my $0.02... Its the same series...

CosmicBee - Software With Buzz
CosmicBee - Software With Buzz
Thanks for the info. Hmm...not sure whether to buy it or not. It''s only five bucks, but I don''t like throwing money out the window in any case.
I'd have to disagree with crizo. I also own "Inside COM" and in my opinion is the best introduction to COM out there. It not only teaches you how to use COM it leaves you with an in depth understanding of why COM exists and how it works.

Having never read "Inside COM+" I can't vouch for it's value. I'd go to the bookstore and flip throuh it, or check the reviews on Amazon or B&N.

Edited by - Solo on March 10, 2002 11:22:00 PM
// Ryan
quote:Original post by bob_the_third
for $4.99.

C''mon! The book is $4.99 for crying out loud, I spend more money just by sitting at my computer!!

ICQ #: 149510932

Google - OpenGL - DirectX - Windows Guide Network - MSDN - Symantec Virus Info

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement