DIRECTPLAY - CreatePlayer

Started by
5 comments, last by Memir 24 years, 2 months ago
Ok, I''ve got a problem with DirectPlay at the mo. I''m not sure how to use the CreatePlayer(LPDPID dpid,LPDPNAME dpname,HANDLE hevent,...); function. All the parameters seem straight forward enough, just like all the other functions in DirectX. However I become stuck when I have to put something in for the HANLD hevent parameter. I''ve never messed with HANDLE''s ever before. Could someone plz point me in a DIRECT''ion. Also what are the steps involved in making a game that supports Multi-player over the internet when using DirectPlay? - e.g I''ve got a friend in Canada, I''m in the UK, and we want to play a multiplayer game (Which is not ran on a Battle net server, just a home made game) As Users, what would the users (me and my friend in Canada) have to specify to make the connection (IP no''s,web address,E-mail''s etc)??. As a Programmer, what functions would I have to write/use (DirectPlay) to make the connection - is there a kind of SetIPNumber(...) function or something for this? /Memir
Flash Pool - Pool/Billiards game for Facebook (developed by Memir).
Advertisement
The event parameter allows you to put in a pointer to a function. This function is called whenever the player receives a message. Don''t use this feature if you are inexperienced. Pass null in the place of this paramater.

To get an IP address you need to use a DirectPlay Lobby object. The function is called CreateCompoundAddress.

Read the manual.
Thanx - It''s these simple things which piss me off

Erm, you said read the ''manual'', what manual is that? Can I download it? How big? URL?

/Memir
Flash Pool - Pool/Billiards game for Facebook (developed by Memir).
He probably means the DirectX SDK documentation. It is a big Word .doc that comes with the download. You should have it if you downloaded the complete SDK with the demos and source, if you downloaded just the .libs and .h files you may not have it, I''m not sure. I don''t know if you can download it separately from the 100MB+ SDK.

Brenden
Actually, I just found the docs. You can view them online at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/isapi/msdnlib.idc?theURL=/library/psdk/directx/dxstart_1x2d.htm

or download the "Documentation, Headers and Libraries" from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/downloads.asp

Hope the help,
Brenden
The Directx SDK installed word docs on all the Directx components as part of the SDK. These docs have some very good examples if you can wade your way through all the more mundane material. I think that is what Anon was referring too. I don''t think, however, that the Directx docs are the best option for someone trying to learn the basics. They''re more appropriate for someone going beyond the basics of Directx. Not that they can''t be used to learn the basics, just that there are a lot better resources out there to get on your feet with.
Try looking here at the directx section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement