what do you hate about most RTS games

Started by
33 comments, last by nellspot 22 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by Kylotan
Funny, my housemate played Tiberian Sun for the first time, and ran it in skirmish mode against the maximum number of computer opponents (7, I think). He thrashed them all. Poor game.

Hah, my experience, too, which made me immediately take it back.

Die and Repeat Missions

I mostly play skirmish mode in RTS games because the main missions are so amateur in design. Typically, if you fail an objective, you have to repeat the entire mission again. This often turns the mission into a puzzle (as in, "oh, I''ve got to destroy the SAM site, then rescue the battleship, then build at least 3 tanks...")

Worse...

Lame Couldn''t Care Less Narrative

... is when this is combined with your typical, trite narrative about 2, 3 or 4 sides engaged in some meaningless war involving characters that you don''t care about but have to keep alive until the end of some mission.

Combine this with die and repeat gameplay, and you have the winning combination of a mission whose cutscenes you have to repeatedly space or sit through, all in order to achieve objectives that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things other than some pre-scripted path of winning or losing.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
I have a list of gripes about strategy games as long as the one just mentioned - but as u lot have covered most of it I won't bother. I just want to mention that there are three types of micro-managment, at least in my opinion.

Micro-managment you have to do - this is bad, and shouldn't exist. Things like telling a unit to suport another thats under attack when it's 3 feet away. Or telling a unit how to get around a tree. To the game designers defense a lot of these are due to not having the cpu cycles to make there game look shit hot *and* do the AI - so they have to cut back on one or the other - and looking good sells more than a good pathfinding algorithm. The flip side is the others - reloading ammo and fuel, switching pointless combat modes of units (Some combat mode switches are good - mainly for artilary as you can't get them away from the counter attack fast enough if your defense fails etc...) - the reason they exist is game designers need to make there games different - and thats enough - different and better is what they should be aimming for. Shogun did this, though its better only for some people.

Micro-managment you have to do but can't be removed without making it a different game! Put simply imagine C&C without the base building - it would be pointless. Ok you can remove that but you end up with a different game - but thats what variety is all about.

Micro-managment thats completly optional - this is what we want. An example of this is the ability to take controll of individual units - if you have strategically outmanouvered the oponent then you don't need it, but if your in a tight space a skilled player can jump in there and use that unit to it's full effectivness and pull a battle they would otherwise lose into their favour.

So in conclusion, to maximise all the elements that I have iterated through a RTS should play its self out beginning to end without any interaction from the player at all - ie you work alongside an AI, and the game should be balanced so your side loses. (The bigger the gap between winning/lossing the higher the difficulty level.) It is then upto the player to do whatever they want - fiddle with buildings, cordinate attacks, controll individual units, whatever they think isn't being done well enough and enjoy doing - and simply improve your sides strategy enough that you win. There are lots of problems with that idea - how the hell you balance it for a start - but it solves micromanagment problems to a certain extent.
-Lethe

[edited by - Lethe on March 22, 2002 5:43:36 PM]
I would prefer it in RTS games if things were in scale, not perfect but almost in scale would be good enough. Regularly men are as tall as buildings; not good.

[edited by - garconbifteck on March 22, 2002 5:55:56 PM]
Alright, hold on a minute. Let us *define* the term strategy before we all agree that it isn''t there in today''s RTSs. Dictionary.com sez:

strat·e·gy Pronunciation Key (strt-j)
n. pl. strat·e·gies

a. The science and art of using all the forces of a nation to execute approved plans as effectively as possible during peace or war.
b. The science and art of military command as applied to the overall planning and conduct of large-scale combat operations.
2. A plan of action resulting from strategy or intended to accomplish a specific goal. See Synonyms at plan.
3. The art or skill of using stratagems in endeavors such as politics and business.

According to that definition, there IS strategy in ALL today''s RTSs. A tech tree is a strategy. So just what is it that we are all looking for?

-Solstice

deninet.com
aeris.deninet.com

"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
-Solsticedeninet.comaeris.deninet.com"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
RTS games lack alot...

- Units should be able to flee. So even if i want my unit to attack, it may just do the opposite and that is to flee.

- Diplomacy, more politics less collect, build and kill.

- Units should be able to screw up. Like killing their own troops by misstake. Shoot themself in the foot and stuff like that.

- And like someone stated above, the battle shouldn''t be won by who is the faster mouseclicker... (Maybe i should play turn based games?)

- Take prisoners?

- Sell/buy weapons/vehicles to/from enemies/rebells...

- Tech trees!?! A bit booring when they are static. You hurry, hurry to reserch to the 21:st tech level to get the fucking mega death mass destruction weapon.

Ofcourse, to much details can destroy the fun about RTS games, so all ideas here may be crap but i hope i will be able to try them out in a game and make my own oppinion

//Peter - Cheers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement