D3D slowing down

Started by
3 comments, last by zilch_ 22 years, 1 month ago
DX8.1. DirectX reports no memoryleaks when running in debug mode. But when my program is run for, like, the 30th time or so, it''s framerate goes from about 200 to 30. Why is this? Checking resources it says that no other program is taking cpu than mine. Anyone? zilch_
Advertisement
Forgott to say that i have to restart my computer in order to solve the issue, e.g. make it faster again. No other changes in code. Just restarting the computer.

zilch_
still sounds like a memory leak. Though when you say the 30th time, you don''t mean the 30th frame, you mean the 30th time right? On the first run you could run it forever with no problems? If that''s true it should make it allot easier to track your bug down as the only vaible targets are things you might do only once per execution like initialization and loading in your objects.

Could be a regular memory leak... i.e. you could be eating up your system memory.... or if you''re using any windows resources it could be a resource leak (easy enough to check, just pull up your resource monitor.) Resource leaks though are usually pretty obvious and you didn''t mention anything that points to one.
I''m not overly sure on how Windows Memory management works, but could you be doing lots of small mallocs and frees, and so fragmenting memory ?
Nopes...
im actually not doing ANY manual allocation of memory. Except on the stack (e.g. not using new). And I think I am Releasing all the DirectX objects.

One thing interesting to notice, is that if I turn on a game (DX game), and turn it off, the problem is gone. So you can probably reset it somehow.

Anyway, my computer has become extremely strange after I installed DirectX 8.1 SDK. Programs crashes at random. And such.

zilch_

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement