Please have a look at this demo

Started by
13 comments, last by The_Fallen 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, could you please have a look at my demo and let me know, whether it works fine and what FPS you get? Here it is: http://www.husser.de/Phoenix3D.zip thx, fallen
Advertisement
btw: You move around via numpad and mouse. Quit with Escape.
So dark I can barely see anything. Can''t see fps counter unless I look at the sky.

When run windowed, I can see even less and fps counter is not showing up.

~245 fps when pointing at sky @ Athlon 1.46Ghz/1GB/GF3.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
vsynch is on? exactly 60 fps 1.4gHz atlon T-bird 256 MB DDR Geforce 2 MX Sony HMDA 400 monitor.

no fps count in window. camera control kind of funky. no brightness problem except reading text. works fine otherwise.
between 33 FPS if I am looking at alot, up to 90 FPS when I am looking up at the sky.

PIII 833 with 512 MB ram, ATI RAGE 128 16 MB video card.

looks nice.
Exactly 60 FPS all the time no matter what. Win XP, 256MB RAM, GeForce2 64MB, P4 1.5Ghz. FPS counter didn''t show up in windowed mode. Looks nice but camera control was awkward.
Hey,

Yeah, your camera control was a little off. You might want to check how your doing the rotates on the camera. (I assume your using OpenGL and glRotatef functions) I think you are specifying the roll somewhere that is messing it up. My suggestion, seeing as how your going for the FPS style look, would be to ignore the roll of the cam and always have it at zero. Thats just my speculation, good like. The rest looks nice.

<script LANGUAGE="java-script">
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - TOOL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[TheBlackJester]
</script>

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

Hey,

Yeah, your camera control was a little off. You might want to check how your doing the rotates on the camera. (I assume your using OpenGL and glRotatef functions) I think you are specifying the roll somewhere that is messing it up. My suggestion, seeing as how your going for the FPS style look, would be to ignore the roll of the cam and always have it at zero. Thats just my speculation, good luck. The rest looks nice.

"With my feet upon the ground I move myeslf between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - TOOL
[TheBlackJester ]

[edited by - TheBlackJester on March 22, 2002 12:29:56 AM]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

It works fine on 1.2Ghz Athlon, GeForce2, Win2k. I get 60-61fps. Did you disable vsync? You''re angles seem to be a bit messed up.

Otherwise, looks good!
Thx for all your replies!
The engine is written for OpenGL. There is a file called direct3d.dll, but the d3d support has not been implemented, yet.
At my machine I have disabled VSync manually within the driver, but that''s a good hint, I''ll implement it in the source!
And about the framerate... The scene is built up of about 5000 triangles. On my Celeron-850, 265 mb ram and GF2MX I get only 30-60 FPS. ~245 fps at Athlon 1.46Ghz sounds nice and that is, what i want!
5000 polys are not really much, so why is there a max of 60, perhaps 70 fps (without vsync!) on my machine? I''m not using any extensions. Are there some of them, that could increase speed?

thx again,
fallen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement