• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Game - Tetris or Pong

This topic is 5784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have what i feel is ready to start my first game. A few months c++ and win api. I will be using ''the standard game loop'', this is how i should be doing it right? Also i was all ready and set to go and had started planning out how to implement my tetris game butthen i thought maybe i should start with pong, i have ready the hundreds of posts in these forums and it seems just about even, some start off with pong, some with tetris. i figure pong should be easier and probably better to start with but i was just wondering if there is a particular hard point or something that means I should try tetris instead? What about me? What about Raven?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Pong is easier for someone who has just begun programming, while Tetris is slightly more advanced and depending on the implementation may seem a bit more impressive. Only thing to watch out for with Tetris is your data representations, if you''re an inexperienced programmer you may not be able to come up with a good implementation on your own.

Pong is easier for someone who has just begun programming, while Tetris is slightly more advanced and depending on the implementation may seem a bit more impressive. Only thing to watch out for with Tetris is your data representations, if you''re an inexperienced programmer you may not be able to come up with a good implementation on your own.

Thanks for the replies.
I did kinda think that pong would be easier, as when I had tried tetris I was a bit unsure of how exactly I was going to do it and if my ideas were correct.

What about me? What about Raven?

Hmmm... Well, I guess it depends. Pong is easier when you know a way to put graphics on the screen.

But if you are of my kind, and learned to work with DOS first (DOS under windows ), all you can do is put colored blocks in place of text, and then Tetris is the only way (though easy way ) to go ^_^

-Maarten Leeuwrik

Follower of the NLS
(New Lounge Standards)

Guest Anonymous Poster
You know, your first game doesn''t *have* to be Pong or Tetris

May I ask what your going to use? GDI? DirectX? Just a bit curious =D

But yeah I started out a few years ago in QBasic and did pong as my first game. Took me about a week the first time. Then I kinda jumped to trying out platform games and managed to make a pretty good version of mega man (Thank goddess for C++). BTW pong is easy to write but it doesnt make for much of a game to show off...to put it simply, the game is boring to play. But yeah have fun!

[edited by - omega7802 on April 18, 2002 6:32:18 PM]

[edited by - omega7802 on April 18, 2002 6:33:03 PM]

[edited by - omega7802 on April 18, 2002 6:33:16 PM]

Definitely Pong. It is a quick easy project that you can complete in a few days, and will give you beginning practice. What you could do, is design a game engine that you could use at the same time you create the game! You know, a game engine that handles graphics (sprites, primitives, etc), audio, input, and whatever else - that is what I''m doing. Tetris isn''t much harder, but everyone is right, the data representation is the tough part. I''d use DirectX over GDI, you won''t be using GDI forever, but you can apply what you do in DirectX to future games.

well i mean I've done basic stuff in Qbasic and pascal but now in c++ i hope to start a 'proper' graphical game as such, and i figured that pong and tetris were suggested many MANY times nad it seemed sensible.
I am so start with the win gdi and then learn OpenGL as opposed to directX, thats where im heading i think

What about me? What about Raven?

[edited by - sanguineraven on April 19, 2002 10:20:47 AM]

I _was_ going to write Pong b4 I got grounded. I was rather surprised to find myself writing a 2D Side Scroller Final Fantasy 3 style RPG instead of Pong when I got back to my computer, but It''s happening and the thing works well. So I don''t know...

but I''d suggest Pong from my meager knowledge.

quote:
Original post by sanguineraven
Would it be a good idea to write my program in pseudocode first?

The best approach is to write your program in plain text, convince yourself of the logic of the game :-), it is much easier to think in normal terms than in programming terms, don´t you think? (well, except your´re a natural in thinking in programming terms, then I have said nothing)

anyone tried using the code provided by TOTWGPG to make tetris?

so,
do u think in terms of 4bobs a game piece, or 1bob alone?

but if u use 4bobs a game piece, checking for the 2d array is
rather ok, but what about if it is in terms of 1bob?

[edited by - edwinnie on April 21, 2002 10:48:57 PM]

My first game was tetris in text mode, and yes, the data representation is the hardest part. I had no idea how to store the pieces, so I ended up making each piece a 4x4 array, and since this was before I knew what the word algorithm meant, I wrote a block of code to rotate each piece, for each angle that it was currently in. The final thing ended up being like 1500 lines of code or so, 1000 of them being my piece rotation. Later (waaay later) I rewrote tetris a lot quicker, and made an actual algorithm to rotate any piece.

Then my second game was a pong clone called Ping. It was actually really cool for my second game ever. I''m talkin a beautiful 320x240x8 resolution. But really it was nice because I had this scrolling stars background and the stars moved in the opposite direction as the ball, and you got score depending on where on the paddle you hit the ball, and every 30 score a random powerup flew across the screen and if you caught it you got an extra life or a bigger paddle or a smaller paddle or you spead up or slowed down the ball. And I made some computer AI. Looking back at the code, it''s really horrible, but it was still something I was really proud of. Yeah, that''s my little story.

I''d go with Pong. Or maybe make a clone of my game Blox. That shouldn''t be too hard for a beginner, I don''t think.

- f l u c k y p o o
- the geek inside

• Advertisement