Need large world in 3ds format

Started by
2 comments, last by ptl 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi everybody, I''m actually working on world rendering in my 3d engine, which actually load meshes from 3ds files, and I''d like to test the velocity of the engine with a very large outdoor world (by very large I mean kilometers of landscape), heavily textured, with an heroic fantasy style (it would be the best). My engine is an open-source 3d engine, and if the file fits to my needs, it would be very cool if I could use it in my demo. Please mail me at frochet@freesurf.fr. Thanx in advance ptl
Advertisement
If you have 3dMax, you could just generate a 50kmx50km plane, apply a noise modifier to it or any other surface deform that you like and export it as a .3ds file. After that, I''d recommend pulling down a section of the land and applying another plane below it to generate a water surface (apply the necessary textures). Then just keep exporting, testing and adding more layers. You should find the limitations of your engine pretty quickly.

Charles Galyon
Charles GalyonPresidentNeoPong Software, Inc.
you can created a city using only a cubes.. The tutorial of 3dsmax 4 show some method to made a city in no-time.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Get bryce 4

make your terrain there

take a picture of the texture that did the mapping for the displace.

make a huge plane in max

apply displace with that texture

make it how big you want

apply mesh optimization and optimize it to how much you think is a good size.

apply Plane UVW coords and set it to "fit"

take a picture of the coords with texporter

texture it

apply texture

export to .3ds

[edited by - Peeves on May 4, 2002 6:08:44 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement