adding a world

Started by
4 comments, last by Ed Johnson 21 years, 12 months ago
ok, im kinda a newb, so bare with me. if i make a world in bryce or whatever, how do i put it in my OpenGL program?
Advertisement
Do you have any experience of programming with OpenGL at all?
Right...where to start?! Basicly for any 3d program for which you want to use the data, your going to need to know the file format. For a program like Bryce this is going to be quite hard to find since it''s a commercial application. If you want to create landscapes then maybe try something like terraform.sourceforge.net. It''s not as powerful but is a lot simpler so may be a better starting point.
Anyway, once you get the data it will ideally be in the form of many triangle. You then just loop through this drawing each triangle to the screen. Hope this helps!
um, so i cant just "import" my map into the opengl?? oh cmon i know u can, does anyone know the codes for that?

*bump*
OpenGL allows you to draw pixels, points, lines, and polygons.
It does not have routines for loading in complex shapes from packages such as Bryce...
You have to write your own, you know - actually do some coding?

I suggest that if you really want to get into programming with OpenGL that you start with something simple - a spinning cube might be a start there are plenty of tutorials around. Read them, code them, understand them and then move on to more complicated stuff.
quote:Original post by Ed Johnson
um, so i cant just "import" my map into the opengl?? oh cmon i know u can, does anyone know the codes for that?

The codes? Are we supposed to be some kind of techno wizards uttering incantations?

I''ll check my spell-ebook...
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement