Game Institute.com

Started by
18 comments, last by catfoodgood 21 years, 11 months ago
Sorry catfoodgood, I didn''t know that would be considered a "stupid" question!

Ciao!

Wachar's Eternity <-<-<-<-<- Me own site!
Advertisement
Please do not misinterpret what I am saying. There is nothing wrong with asking questions. My understanding from your post in the behavior forum was that you were going to research more before asking questions. I am not flaming you, but if the url is in the post, and it is something you are interested in or have questions about, go to the site.
I took the DirectPlay class, the instructor was Stan Trujillo, and it was pretty good for the number of lessons there were. It covered less than I would have liked, but that's partly my fault because I was more interested in serialization designs than the DirectPlay API. Stan explained everything clearly, though his soft voice was something of a sedative. He says his mic was to blame, but I think he's just a girly man (j/k Stan)

I hear the some of the earlier courses were so bad they actually issued refunds, but the DP course wasn't anywhere near that bad.

The problem I has, was that I hated waiting a week before I could go over the next lesson. I would have liked to read all the lessons in a week or two, and spent the next couple of weeks working with what I learned and ask Stan questions about the things that always come up.

I have never once thought any class ever went too fast, so maybe that's why I think it's hard to say that money is better spent on a GI class than on a book on the subject. The book is likely to be far more comprehensive and the cost is almost identical. For something like learning C or C++, an actual class at the local community college might be a better way to go.

One thing I did like about the lessons is that (like a real class) it keeps you 'on track', working on stuff and making progress every week. And a book generally doesn't do that for it, you have to completely supply the due-diligence yourself.

Try taking one class and see how you like it. GI is a great idea; it just has *alot* of feasibility issues.

PS If you didn't know, you can save all the lessons and example code so you can reread & review them again later.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on May 1, 2002 11:45:32 PM]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I''ve taken terrain rendering, BSP, and OpenGL and all were excellent. The professors for all 3 (there were 2 in BSP) were very interactive and the forums ranged from buzzing to dead.

The BSP course was a tad complicated and time-consuming but the cool thing is, currently they don''t lock you out of courses you''ve taken. I can go into any of those courses and re-listen to the presentations, read the book, download newly available source, etc.
Honestly, I''ve found that the mine function of a teacher is to answer questions. For most questions, I''ve found the good members of GDNet to be my teacher. Given a book(I''ve got 4: Learn Computer Game Programming with DirectX 7.0, Beginning Direct3D8 Game Programming, The Zen of Direct3D8 Game Programming, and OpenGL Game Programming) and GDNet, I''ve learned a LOT.

The internet 0wnz j00!

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

online classes are great and all.. but does completing
these classes get you any sort of certification (or work
you toward one) or transferrable credit?
seems kinda pointless to me, paying a hundred bucks for an
online class when you can get a nice book for around 40-50
and probably get more out of it (not to mention learn at
your own pace).
but transferrable credits or certification would be great =)

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
I fi remember correctly you get a cetification for passing courses, but it is not transferable. The main object is to learn specifics on each subject, for your own benifit, i believe.

Stupid server error! =D

I wrote so much, and it was all deleted! =( Anyways, I am a GI student, so I can give some insight here! =D GI does give certificates for every class you take. It''d be kinda cool if you''ve taken enough classes to have like 10 certificates on your wall. Although it would also be cool if they finally made like a final certificate for completing everything. Also, the text they give each course just about could fill a small book, so for a little extra money(whatever it costs to print, and buy binder and paper), you have a class, and a book. =D GI classes are pretty difficult though. The material is pretty advanced, if you sign up for GI courses, do not expect a cakewalk. You can take the final test for the class whenever you want, so it''s also learn at your own pace. Some teachers don''t respond to questions so quickly, and some do, you just have to figure out which ones. I will make it a little more clear though, Stan Trujillo does answer questions pretty darn quick! =D As it is, I''ve completed "Exploring the DirectInput API" and "Intro to C and C++ Programming" =D I''m now taking "Game Mathematics" (I started half a year ago, and I''m still completely perplexxed, I think I''m gonna hire a tutor) and the OpenGL class (It''s okay..a little difficult, but fun! =D)

Oh well, thats the facts, and my impressions, hope it helps! =D

-=Lohrno
Sounds like you pretty much get out what you put in (just like everything else I guess.) Well I''m going to give it a try. THanks for responding everyone, and if anyone else wants to respond please do, because I know that there are more people out there wondering about GI, and more people who have taken some classes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement