Does anyone use Dev C++ here?

Started by
10 comments, last by devc_kid 21 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone use Dev C++ version 5 here? Mine gets a lotta errors
TL
Advertisement
i use Dev-C++ 4 for general programming.
If you want real game programming I think you''d better use
MSVC++.

I started with Dev-C++. But there are a few problems with its.

* Its for beginners.

* Slow, a little bit.

But, never the less, its very very good for the beginners. But if you want to pofessionally create applictions then I recommend MVC++. Why??

Since its all Microsoft Windows, C++ etc etc.

I ... am ... the GAME!!!

The Lion King
quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
MSVC++.

Why?

"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
"I am governed by none other than the Laws of the Universe."
i use Dev-C++ 4 for general programming.
MSVC++.

Unfortunetly, this may have a hint of truth in the Windows centric world. Everything in that culture is targeted at MSVC, so it would be easier to just give in. However, there''s still nothing stopping you from using Dev C++ if you''re willing to use Google for a couple minutes to download the libraries you''d need to use (DirectX, SDL, whatever).
quote:Original post by The Lion King
* Its for beginners.
* Slow, a little bit.

Neither of those are true. Dev C++ uses an older version of GCC, which is one of the best compilers around in standards compliance (even that older version is better than MSVC 6), optimization, and in other such ''serious'' ways. The IDE may have its issues, but GCC is in no way a bad choice for a compiler.
quote:Original post by The Lion King
Since its all Microsoft Windows, C++ etc etc.

That doesn''t make any sense. I can see what you might have been getting at (what Pipo was saying), but you stated it poorly.

I use Dev-C++ 4. I can''t wait for 5 to get out of beta development. It looks pretty cool so far, but it dies too much for me to actually do anything useful with it.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
I use Dev-C++ 4.9.2.0; I''m only using it until I can buy VC++ .NET, which should be soon, hopefully. I don''t hate Dev-C++, but it is really buggy. Can you guys figure out how the compiler works?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn''''t exist." - Keyser Soze
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn''t exist." - Keyser Soze
quote:Original post by AndreLinoge
I don''t hate Dev-C++, but it is really buggy.

Yes, the IDE has problems.
quote:Original post by AndreLinoge
Can you guys figure out how the compiler works?

Didn''t I already tell everyone that didn''t know that Dev C++ relies on an older version of GCC ? GCC is an independent open source (GPL) project. I use GCC just fine without Dev C++ (autoconf and make work fine), you can do the same if you want to.

MSVC++.

<sarcasm>Yes, obviously you can''t do real game programming in Dev-c++, since gcc isn''t a real compiler.</sarcasm>
I''m using Dev-C++, Only a beginner, so there''s plenty I haven''t tried to do with it yet, but I haven''t come across anything drastically bad with it yet (haven''t tried windows programming with it, so maybe that''s where all the bugs are?)

Anyway, my only complaint with it at this stage (and it is rather important I guess), is that it doesn''t seem to give compiler warnings... there are no problems picking up fatal errors etc. but it doesn''t warn you about redundant code, things like that - which from a beginners point of view would be very handy to see.

Oh well, it''s free and can get you started - I''ll definitely keep using it for a while yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement