Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Why use dynamic vertex buffer?

Started by initial_y May 16, 2002 at 9:55 AM 4 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
initial_y
initial_y
I can''t deside which style of vertex buffer to use? static or dynamic? I think if there are enough video memory spaces then static vertex buffer will best and fastest? I can create many static vertex buffer to hold different mesh objects rather than dynamic vertex buffer? What are dynamic vertext buffer''s advantage?
汇编语言不会编
kmsixpence
kmsixpence
The advantage to dynamic vertex buffers is that they are faster to lock and unlock. For a particle engine for example, you''d want a dynamic vertex buffer because you will be locking/unlcoking to modify the positions a lot. Static vb''s would be better for objects which will never move.
initial_y
initial_y
Are static vb only suit object which never move? I can use static vb store objects then use matrix transform move them?
I think dynamic vb suit object which will change their form?
汇编语言不会编
kmsixpence
kmsixpence
that''s exactly correct. remember though, that if you
initial_y
initial_y
can you give me an example or tell me where to get an detailed describe?I can''t think it out myself...
汇编语言不会编

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.