Win2K and DOS

Started by
2 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 1 month ago
I heard a while ago that Windows 2000 would not run any DOS apps, at all. Is this true? I was considering getting it, but I don''t want to make it impossible to play Doom and all that good stuff anymore! So what would be good reasons to switch from Win98 to Win2K?
Advertisement
Win2K will run dos apps, but only to a certain extent. I am not sure how video modes and sound would work, if at all.
I have tried the latest ZSNES, using VESA 2+, and it said it didn''t detect VESA, even though I had it. Also, PS/2Rate won''t work.

On the good side, it is super stable. Ie., one app crashing won''t bring the whole system down with it. It is definately a good choice, especially if you are a developer. If you are a gamer, wait a few weeks until the drivers are fully perfected.
poocaapoo
You don''t need PS2Rate because it lets you specify the sampling rate in the mouse control panel. =)

It''s too bad there''s no way to toggle direct hardware access in NT with an app you specify...without buying that 3rd party thing that allows sound from DOS apps.
Since Win2000 is NT technology it doesn''t support older DOS applications and alot of people here says that sucks, but it''s either stability and speed or better DOS compability. I think it''s good, since at some state, MS has to clean up their OS''s to prevent the instability of Win95/98.

Good reason to switch from Win98 to Win2K is the speed and stabilty, the complexity of the OS (lots of new tools). If you don''t want to abandon Win98, install Win200 on a new partition/harddrive, I do that and it works fine and you get a pretty boot menu.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement