Windows XP slower??

Started by
15 comments, last by deadlydog 21 years, 11 months ago
Actually Sir Bob wrote the graphics engine. I just posted the problem. But we''d still appreciate more input to this problem

He who laughs, lasts
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Advertisement
are you 110% vsync is COMPLETLY disabled (ie flip uses NOVYSNC and if possible directly disable it in the drivers). also are you sure no other apps are running?

i am assuming you are having this problem with all games considering you are blaming xp.
What''s highly suspicious is that the WinXP framerate is so low just from "moving a few bitmaps around." I have WinXP and of course my framerate is very high just from displaying a few polygons, so there''s something wrong with your program or your video card settings. Go to the Control Panel, click Display, and make sure your card settings are not forcing v-sync.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by a person
are you 110% vsync is COMPLETLY disabled (ie flip uses NOVYSNC and if possible directly disable it in the drivers). also are you sure no other apps are running?

i am assuming you are having this problem with all games considering you are blaming xp.

I got games running slower (or sometimes damn slow) on XP while in 98SE is as smooth as silk.

VSYNC? V-Sync i think is ''emulated'' when DX is in Windowed Mode.

...It should be implementation of graphics driver on XP DX... bcoz I got that damn Intel 3D card with, in which only has ''beta'' driver for 2000/XP. *sigh*
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
quote:Original post by a person

Now where did I say I was blaming XP? A teense defensive about our favorite OS, are we?

- Sir Bob.
That''s really odd because on my 1.53 Ghz AMD athlon (just as fast as your actually), with XP and 768MB of ram, I get framerates of around 1000 when I do basic 3d stuff which has to be more complex than moving bitmaps. Perhaps you are blitting from system memory.
Well, that''s exactly the point - I got my hands on a computer that runs both 98 and XP, and tried it out on both. Same hardware, same drivers, same physical machine, etc., and exactly the same still runs fine on Win98 and chokes on XP.

So my question, really, is what do I have to do differently to run under XP? What''s different about the way XP does what it does with regard to DirectX graphics that necessesitates a change of methodology? ''cause until I know that, the best I can do is to randomly go through the program trying alternate ways of doing various basic tasks until something clicks - and trial-and-error is hell.

- Sir Bob.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement