a question on nested loops

Started by
5 comments, last by llamaboy 21 years, 10 months ago
for an excersize in a book i''m trying to make a program that uses nested loops to put the following on the screen * *** ***** ******* ********* *********** ************* ...and so on... i figure that i need an outer loop that goes down each line and two inner loops to print spaces and asteriks... do i use for loops for all these? i''ve messed around with it but just can''t figure it out... a push in the right direction would be great, thanks!
Advertisement
Do you mean this:

or this

Because the first can be done with a single for loop, as can the second. But the second contains spaces, I don''t see where the spaces would be in the first.

------

Shop for the Lowest Price!
Then, Check a Reseller''s Rating Before You Purchase!
------Shop for the Lowest Price!Then, Check a Reseller's Rating Before You Purchase!
I apologize, I meant the second one with the spaces

I''m an idiot and I forgot to use the HTML to format it properly.

Thanks,
You mean something like this?

int i;
for(i = 1; i <= 25; i++)
{
int j;
for(j = 1; j <= i; j++)
printf("*";
printf("\n";
}
Here's a version that does work.

EDIT: Even better version

[code]#include <iostream>#include <cstdlib>using namespace std;void main(void){    for (int astr = 1, astr <= 13; astr += 2)    {            for (int spaces = 1; spaces < ((23 - astr) / 2); spaces++)            {                    cout << " ";        }            for (int totalAstr = 1; totalAstr < astr; totalAstr++)        {            cout << "*";        }        for (int spaces = 1; spaces < ((23 - astr) / 2); spaces++)            {                    cout << " ";        }            cout << endl;    }        system("PAUSE");} [/code]        

[edited by - aNonamuss on June 1, 2002 5:04:03 PM]

[edited by - aNonamuss on June 1, 2002 5:05:00 PM]
------Shop for the Lowest Price!Then, Check a Reseller's Rating Before You Purchase!
I have just found the right algorithm for your request, take this code below and compile it...

#include <iostream>using namespace std;void main(void){	int columns;	cout << "Enter how many columns there are(keep this value under 30): ";	cin >> columns;	int star_indi = 1;	for (int i = columns; i > 0; --i)	{		for (int i = columns; (i-1) > 0; --i)		{			cout << " ";		}		for (int k = 0; k < star_indi; k++)		{			cout << "*";		}		cout << endl;		star_indi += 2;		columns--;	}}  
Did it help???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement